The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Quarantine for BN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 1:02 am

Hiya, could I have a bit of advice? I have just bought a little BN from a local pet shop that I dont usually go in. The whole set up looked bad, and I wasnt impressed with the state of the tanks - the water looked quite dirty, and i am sure some of the fish had ich - they had small white spots on them and I dont think it was their normal markings or anything like that.

I have got the BN in a small spare tank and dont want to put him in the main tank till I know he's ok but I am worried that he wont do well as there is no algae in there and not enough room to put bogwood. Also how much cover does he need to make him feel safe? It's only a small tank, about 15litres. I know I need to give him wafers and veggies, but how often should I feed him toi make up for the lack of algae, and how long should I keep him in there for? Also should I treat him with anything to make sure he doesnt catch the ich?

Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 1:04 am

hmmm I cant answer the feeding Qs but keep him in there for a few weeks to give you enough time to monitor him and check him over thorouhly.

Secondly isnt 15L a weeee bit too small?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 1:47 am

I'd feed him courgette twice a week (put a slice in at night - weighted down and remove in the morning, don't leave longer than about 12hrs) Algae wafers 3x a week and see how he goes. In 15l you will need to do very regular water changes as plecs are all poop-machines. (I'd do 20% daily)

For safety I would keep him isolated a minimum of 3 weeks and keep the temperature at 28degreesC. Unless he shows any actual signs of disease I would not add any meds as plecs often react badly to them.

As for cover, can you put a clean terracotta plant pot in there? or even a small piece of slate propped up on a couple of rocks? Or a piece of pvc piping about the size of the inside of a loo roll? anything like that will give a decent hiding place and add a plastic plant too for some privacy.

to the slippery slope of plec ownership - it is addictive you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 am

GeordieDave wrote:
hmmm I cant answer the feeding Qs but keep him in there for a few weeks to give you enough time to monitor him and check him over thorouhly.

Secondly isnt 15L a weeee bit too small?

It probably is GD - I just bought a cheap tank to raise some fry in so it didnt need to be big. How big should a q tank be??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 2:46 am

indigoj wrote:
I'd feed him courgette twice a week (put a slice in at night - weighted down and remove in the morning, don't leave longer than about 12hrs) Algae wafers 3x a week and see how he goes. In 15l you will need to do very regular water changes as plecs are all poop-machines. (I'd do 20% daily)

For safety I would keep him isolated a minimum of 3 weeks and keep the temperature at 28degreesC. Unless he shows any actual signs of disease I would not add any meds as plecs often react badly to them.

As for cover, can you put a clean terracotta plant pot in there? or even a small piece of slate propped up on a couple of rocks? Or a piece of pvc piping about the size of the inside of a loo roll? anything like that will give a decent hiding place and add a plastic plant too for some privacy.

to the slippery slope of plec ownership - it is addictive you know.

Thanks for the welcome indi :lol: . I know it's addictive - I already have 1 BN that I think is my favourite fish in the tank, and then I saw this little fella in a mucky tank and just had to get him!

Thanks for the advice, I will do daily water changes. I have got a small plastic plant pot would that do, and how do I stop it from rolling about - would half burying it in the gravel do??
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 2:56 am

tardis wrote:
how do I stop it from rolling about - would half burying it in the gravel do??

yeah

not sure for a Q tank Tardis. I cant really give much advice...stiil a noob'y

Last edited by GeordieDave on Sun May 18, 2008 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 2:58 am

Plastic pot should be ok, as will digging it into the gravel.

For future quarentines a tank around 30-50l is about right, of course it depends on how big/how many fish you need to put in there. For 1 little fish 15l for a few weeks will not be too much of a problem.

Ah so you now have 2 bristlies.... I didn't know if the one in your sig was this one you just bought - see already you have multiples!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   Sun May 18, 2008 4:28 am

I love BN's. I would just love to breed them, but think if I introduced a female into the tank my older BN, who is a bit of a bolshy male would get even more bolshy and start throwing his weight around :lol:

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quarantine for BN   

Back to top Go down

Quarantine for BN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1