The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

PLATTY PROBLEM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: PLATTY PROBLEM   Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:42 am

Prompted to do an update by Munchycarrot has reminded me of something I needed to ask. Since I had a couple of deaths in the tank, I now only have 2 plattys and they seem to be having 'issues'. I dont know if they are males or females, but one seems to want to dominate the other, keeps chasing it all over the tank, and the one getting chased now spends most of its time hiding in the corner of the tank.

How can I stop it getting bullied like this? It wasnt too bad when I had 4 of them but I dont really want to replae the 2 plattys that died as I dont want to have fish that keep having babies.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: PLATTY PROBLEM   Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 am

Well the only thing to do ritsy is to either get more females as I'm sure its the male pestering the female. Getting more females will spread the aggression/loving, lol. Or get rid of one of them which isn't ideal as they are better in groups Smile

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: PLATTY PROBLEM   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:55 am

Certain species can exhibit aggression/bullying behaviour if the recommended M/F ratio isn't adhered to. I found this with my Honey Gouramis as I only got one of each and then discovered that I should have two females to one male and I've since had to separate them into different tanks until I can find another female. Rolling Eyes

As MC said, it's prob the same thing going on with your platies. I had just two male platies and they got on very well. Alas, one died recently after about a year and I never replaced it. The remaining male looks a bit lonely without his friend. Sad

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: PLATTY PROBLEM   Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:00 am

Ive just got the one platty now and to be honest I wouldnt get any more. The one I have is a real narky fish. He bullied the other male and female plattys constantly which is probably why they died and he is still alive.

Now that he doesnt have any plattys to pester, he is spending his time chasing one of the male cherry barbs about the tank. I dont know if it is because of the red colour - perhaps he sees it as a threat dunno .

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: PLATTY PROBLEM   Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Hows things now ritsy?

My site