The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Okay here I go as promised. The fishless cycling went extremely well (I think the live plants really helped). A visit to a local dealer and a long look round and chat I am now looking after 6 small zebra danios and a single small corydoras(not sure what type but I was informed a max size of around 5cm). Everything seems to be going fi... not bad (Let's not jinx things). I have installed an ammonia scale to keep an eye on that and regular water tests indicate things are nice and stable. I have found the fish flakes quite good but I have to be careful to break them up or the danios bite a corner and then spend a few seconds swimming while blind, so I have switched to some mini pellets and boy do they like those. Photos will follow once I work out the best placement of lights and reflectors (my other BIG anorak).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Sounds really good teejay. Look forward to seeing it. I havent heard of an ammonia scale before. Do you still do weekly testing to make sure the nitrite is 0 and the nitrate low too?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 pm

It sounds as though you are getting along 'swimmingly' :lol:

I don't want to put a downer on things but danios need a lonnnnnng tank as they are fast swimmers & need a lot of space.
On a positive note (sorry) it seems as though you have everything under control as far as water quality & monitoring things go...keep coming back & letting us know how things go Smile

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 pm

TJ, Just keep an eye on you water stats even though you have an Ammonia alert system. If you get anything other than 0-0 and nitrate >40 do a water change.

Good to hear it's all gone well.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:05 am

Carole:- I am still doing strip tests every four days or so to test everything but the ammonia.

Munchycarrot:-My tank is a taller rather than a longer type (I will post photos, honest) with a pump that pulls the water up and out of the tank, over a filter and then drops it back into the tank (How about that for a convoluted way of putting it?) Anyway the danios have taken to trying to swim upstream for a few seconds and then calm down and play tag among the plants.

Diana:-Just for you, here are the latest test results ie five minutes ago
pH = 6.8
KH = 3 dH
GH = between 6 and 10 dH
NO2 = 0
NO3 = About 20

Last edited by TeeJay on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical)
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:32 am

Wow terry, you are on the ball Smile

Looking forward to pics as you are a keen photographer (anorak) lol!

My site
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:33 am

Munchycarrot:- One of the advantages of having been made redundant.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:49 am

All the more time to take some pics then Wink

*edit - Oh terry - if you want to enter this months photo comp, pm me your entry. The topic is summer....anything that sums up summer to you

My site
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:59 am

Yeah, no excuses now Terry, get those snaps in smartish! :lol:

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:12 am

Ok, Teejay. Sorry to cast a shadow on all the positive comments but I see you have no reading for ammonia. I also note that you seem to have completed fishless cycling in under two weeks which is a wee bit suspicious...Wink

Are you sure the tank is cycled?? I'd advise you to get an ammonia test kit asap and post the readings 'coz I have an inkling that your tank may still be cycling. If I'm wrong, then I'll be the first to eat humble pie...:lol:

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:08 pm

Mary;- Just got back from the pet store at the end of the road with my Salifert NH3 Ammonia Hobby Test, (Ł5.95 there goes next weeks spending money). Followed the instructions and the results show less than 0.5 ammonia i.e. it stayed totally clear. The Ammonia Alert in my tank scales at
Safe less than 0.02ppm
Alert 0.05ppm
Alarm 0.2ppm
Toxic 0.5ppm
and the colour scale is sat at the safe level.

The only thing I can think is that the combination of seven live plants and regular doses of Nutrafin Biological Aquarium Supplement Cycle have helped. The small snails I acquired as a freebie hidden in the plants are out and about, the plants are all putting on new growth. Everything seems fine.

Now you have me worried....

If anyone lives in Nottingham and fancies a cup of tea or coffee the kettle is on.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:29 am

Not near enough to pop in for a cuppa TJ, but well done on keeping an eye on your water stats. It's the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (as well as ph) that are thge important ones to monitor closely so keep testing every few days for now and if they rise at all then do a quick water change.

I havent used Cycle and know lots of peopole think all those sort of things are rubbish, but if it has helped you get cycled quickly thats interesting to know. Very Happy

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:28 am

Well the water tests don't lie so maybe you did manage a fast cycle then. Smile

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Look forward to seeing some photos's TJ, its great to see how everyone has their tanks organised Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Hiya TJ, sounds good that you got through your cycle so quick - it's a bit of a pain when it drags on. Look forward to seeing some photos too.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:55 pm

How are things now TJ?

My site
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 pm

Well so far everything is good (He says reaching for a large chunk of wood to touch). I seem to have a small amount of mucky brown algae that wants to cover the broader leaves of my plants which I can live with, just. Other than that the snails continue to grow and the fish do fish things, which makes photographing them interesting (No I haven't forgotten to post piccies, but I do need to try and get a job so that does take precedence, or so my wife tells me. He Ho Rolling Eyes ). The corydoras has shown the danios how much fun scavenging and chasing around the bottom of the tank among the plants can be so they are now playing tag and hide and seek at the same time. At some point I might add another cory as they do prefer company but I am at the limits of the tank and I think he has become an honorary zebra danio so I shall probably leave things as they stand.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:15 am

Hya TJ. Good to hear how things are getting along, but dont get your priorities mixed up No . Mundane things like work can wait. :lol:

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 am

TeeJay wrote:
I seem to have a small amount of mucky brown algae that wants to cover the broader leaves of my plants which I can live with, just.

Very common in new tanks. Just give it a quick wipe off at every water change and it'll eventually clear. Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)   

Back to top Go down

Up and running. (With baby steps and slowly)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1