The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

PYTHON

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: PYTHON   Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Ive been looking at these online and they look like a good idea - anything that will make water changing easier is a good idea for me!!

Does anyone have experience of them - are they worth getting or not?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:03 am

I've read that they can make water changes a lot quicker (although you do have to be careful that you don't accidentally use the hot tap to refill the tank affraid ) but I'm one of the conscientious people who uses the old tank water for my indoor plants and outdoor flower beds so couldn't justify letting all the old water go to waste down the sink...Smile

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:14 am

Ive never heard of these Guppy, how do they work?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:26 am

Have a look on here, charley. Smile

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:45 am

Oooh, that looks good. I wonder if it would fit on my tap - it's a mixer tap and a bit chunky :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 am

Just measure the diameter of your tap charley and see if it's ok. It does look a good thing though

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tamey22

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Python is one of the dangerous snakes in the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

OK - for those who dont know what an aquarium 'python' is - its a pipe system for changing water - in theory, you dont need a pump (as it works on the velocity suction principal) and you dont need to suck on one end of the tube yourself either.

Basically - it has several uses - but the main two are adding and taking water out of your tank - if your smart you can have it do the two at the same time BUT here are the downsides.

It uses flowing water (from your tap/faucet) as the 'pump' thus it wastes a lot of water - probably uses more water for the pump than it sucks out of the tank (liters per hour) and if your on a water meter like some folks this is not an option.

Second downfall - its hard to monitor the temperature of the water your adding to the tank

Thirdly - you have to still dechlorinate the fresh water - BUT dechlorinate the new water thats already hit your tank - not a good idea - even IF you coughed up for an automatic dosing system.

Now the python looks a good idea on paper - in reality - not worth the money or hassle - the work it saves on one hand it adds to the other - and lets face it - compared to the cost of a 2m length of hose and a couple of buckets and jug - well, the costs of the python just dont justify it.

Also as pointed out - with a python - you cant save any tank water for filter cleaning (as said) unless you use the old hose n bucket system separately which then kinda defeats the object.

Some of you know im a bit of a gadget tart but the python is a waste of time n money inmho.

IF you want to speed up water changes - buy a powerhead and use it to empty n refil your tank - still cheaper than a python, faster, more energy efficient and still means no *cough* oral on a hose (so to speak) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Think you could have saved yourself the effort there mate,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Forgot to say that a python doesnt gravel vac either Very Happy

If we can stop someone wasting time n money in future - i dont see it as a waste of time or effort informing folks fo the good old fashioned truth Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 am

You don't even need to do oral on a hose (as you called it hahaha ) just stick one end of the pipe in the tank and the other end onto the tap, and fill up the pipe completely with water and then pull it off the tap- the water blasts out without any need for sucking it all the way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PYTHON   

Back to top Go down

PYTHON
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1