Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Fish Dying...   Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 am

Well one of my very first fish - a Black Neon (at least 18 months old) - is on the way out. I noticed it writhing around the bottom of the 90L tank tonight with prominent red streaks on its abdomen. Shocked

I'm assuming it's some sort of internal infection and I'm not holding out much hope. Still, I transferred it to the Q tank and started a course of Interpet #9 so you never know. But alas IME there's very little chance of recovery...Sad

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:12 pm

Thats a shame Mary. Youve had a good run with your fish lately though havent you after all the previous mishaps, and I guess it's just one of those things.

Even T now just looks at the body and then runs off to play - although we did have a funeral service the other day for one of her goldfish, complete with coffin and cross! :lol:

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:23 pm

I have had a good run lately - I think the last death was before I went away on holidays so that's about three months ago. Still, the little fellow is hanging on for now. Wink

I was only thinking last night of how I bawled like a baby when my first fish died whereas now it's like "ho hum, another one bites the dust"... silent

indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:14 am

awww... it is sad how we get hardened too it isn't it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:15 am

indigoj wrote:
awww... it is sad how we get hardened too it isn't it.

Well I wouldn't say I'm "hardened" just yet, I still feel a pang of sadness when I lose a fish. But I've definitely become more complacent about it whereas a year ago, I would've been in a right state. Wink

Well that Black Neon died this morning and this evening I noticed that the second adult one was in a right state... Shocked

Its tail and dorsal fins were bitten right back and it looked like chunks had been bitten out of it so I've now moved that one to the Q tank (after disposing of the other one's body). A quick scan of the other fish in the tank revealed that no other fish was showing any sign of injury. So I'm wondering if it's possible that the two adult Black Neons (both added to tank at the same time about 18 month ago) actually had an old barney among themselves and inflicted these injuries on each other... dunno

Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:14 am

That sounds strange Mary - what else do you have in there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:16 am

Juvenile Black Neons, a pair of Honey Gouramis (the male is merrily chasing the female as I type this...Rolling Eyes), a female SFF, four Hatchetfish, three Zebra Loaches, a large Veiltail BN, four Otos and four Amano Shrimp, none of whom show any sign of injury... scratch

I also had to move a Red Platy to the Q tank as it's looking well ropey...I think it might be old age. Anyway both fish seem to doing fine with a dose of Interpet #9 plus a Melafix/Pimafix combo to help with the injuries...Wink

Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:36 am

Well I found my two blue swordtails dead this morning. They were in a different tank to the Black Neons and the Red Platy but were about the same age. I tested the water and the only anomaly was a KH of 2. I've since buffered the water but I'm curious as to whether the low KH could have had an affect on the fish that died? dunno

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:19 pm

I suppose it could although wouldnt other fish have been affected too? Have the swordtails shown any signs of illness?

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:45 am

Well the KH thing was probably just clutching at straws as I know that the pH would've had to be affected to have had any detrimental effects and that was fine too.

I'm just wondering if it's just an unfortunate coinicidence that these fish (5 in total), roughly been in the tanks the same length of time have died/are dying at the same time...Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish Dying...   

Back to top Go down

Fish Dying...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: