The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ich?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Ich?   Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 am

Just noticed my Silver Shark has lots of bubble like spots each one about the size of a grain of salt mainly on the upper half of it's body and lots on it's tail and dorsal fins not so many on the lower half. 90% sure it's ich. I have Interpet anti white spot to treat it and I know I'll need to increase water tempreture to about 26 degrees and remove the carbon from my filter. No sign of it on my other fish at present but unforunatly I don't have another tank to treat it alone.
Water quality is good but have added new fish recently. Could be caused by stress?
Would be great if someone could confirm it's most likley ich and tell me if their's anything else I need or can do or correct me if i'm wrong as I don't want to get the treatment wrong.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:49 am

If it looks like grains of salt/sugar as you say then it definitely sounds like Ich. It's an opportunistic parasite that often lies dormant in a tank but can be introduced by new fish which is why it's important to quarantine new arrivals for at least a month before adding them to an established community.

The Q tank doesn't need to be anything fancy - a bare 15L+ tank with some plastic plants, small filter and heater will do the job fine. In any case, with Ich you'll need to treat the whole tank so don't remove the affected fish.

I'd suggest you carry out a water change, giving the tank a good gravel clean before starting treatment to get rid of as much of the Ich cysts as possible. The parasite is only infectious in the free swimming stage after the cysts burst. Turn the temperature of the tank even higher, say 29/30 to speed up the life cycle of the parasite and complete the full course of Whitespot treatment without any water changes until it's over. There's a good article here about using heat to treat Ich. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks mary, I'll do water change, turn up the temperature and start treatment 1st thing in the morning as it's my day off.
I needed to get a 2nd opinion for my own piece of mind as I've got these things wrong in the past with disasterous results.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 am

Well have a good scrutiny of the suspected Ich spots tonight and if any more appear on the suspect fish or on other fish then that's a definite sign. IME they often start on the tail fin. Wink

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear about the ich. It's a shame when new additions to the tank cause problems like this.

As Mary says, a q tank doesnt have to be fancy - one of mine cost £15 from P@H but has been so handy to have, not just for new fish but also for raising fry too.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:21 am

Mary wrote:
I'd suggest you carry out a water change, giving the tank a good gravel clean before starting treatment to get rid of as much of the Ich cysts as possible. The parasite is only infectious in the free swimming stage after the cysts burst. Turn the temperature of the tank even higher, say 29/30 to speed up the life cycle of the parasite and complete the full course of Whitespot treatment without any water changes until it's over. There's a good article here about using heat to treat Ich. Wink
Done all of the above. The instructions fot the anti white spot treatment say "before redosing you should wait 7 days and the carry out a 30% water change before redosing" ? Is it better to redose without water change?
No other fish appear to be infected, so far so i'm keeping everything crossed that it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 am

I have never had to use Ich treatment johnwp, but I would just follow the instructons on the bottle. Leaving the tank longer than 7 days without water change is only going to stress out the fish imo, running the risk of getting high ammonia etc to make things worse..

Hope it all clears quickly for you, but make sure you treat the tank for the full period even if there is no sign of the iich..

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:47 am

Diana wrote:
I have never had to use Ich treatment johnwp, but I would just follow the instructons on the bottle. Leaving the tank longer than 7 days without water change is only going to stress out the fish imo, running the risk of getting high ammonia etc to make things worse..

Hope it all clears quickly for you, but make sure you treat the tank for the full period even if there is no sign of the iich..
Thanks Diana, my only problem now is that the instructions say that the treatment remains active for several days and only redose if neccesary after seven days, but I know from reading up on ich it can take up to 21 days to go through all the cycles. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to treat the tank 3 times just to ensure it has cleared up, as from what i've read even if their are no visable signs on any fish it could still be in the water or gravel. I'd hate to think I had cleared up the problem only for it to reappear a few days later.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:14 am

I think what most people recommend is to carry on treating for 5 days after the last grain of salt disappears. So, dose, wait for the 7 days without changing the water as recommended on the instructions. Re dose if there is still grains of salt evident, wait 7 days and so on. If you find the Interpet is not doing the job (and some say it is not the most effective, then try one of the other treatments available.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:30 am

Diana wrote:
I think what most people recommend is to carry on treating for 5 days after the last grain of salt disappears. So, dose, wait for the 7 days without changing the water as recommended on the instructions. Re dose if there is still grains of salt evident, wait 7 days and so on. If you find the Interpet is not doing the job (and some say it is not the most effective, then try one of the other treatments available.
Thanks again Diana, I'm just panicing as I don't want to get it wrong as i've done so often in the past.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:37 am

Tbh, it depends on the Whitespot treatment that you use as e.g. Protozin (needs half dose for loaches/catfish) requires four treatments in six days without any water changes in between. However, Diana's suggestion sounds like a good one. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 am

Sorry Embarassed 1 more question: How long do I keep the temprature up at 29/30?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 pm

I'd leave it up till you have finished the treatments, and keep the extra oxygenaton on for that time too.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:54 am

Sorry got another question. Roughly how long before the spots start to disappear? Their is still no sign of other fish being affected, which i'm pleased about but their seems to be no improvement in the silver shark it actually looks like it's getting worse, and the mollies and swordtails have started nipping at the spots on it, which can't be good.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am

My Blue Rams developed Whitespot in the Q tank and I think it took about a week after the end of treatment before the spots were gone.

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Mary, still worried about the mollies and swordtail nipping at it though. They're definatley nipping at the spots on it's body not the fins.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am

Well without a Q tank, there's little you can do to stop that I'm afraid. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:15 am

Came home from work tonight and unfortunatly my silver shark has died Sad . It had no signs of the white spot left on it but it as missing a lot of scales from the top half of it's body don't know how long it's been dead as it was still swimming about this morning when I left for work. are the missing scales significant or could that be because it may have been lying in the tank for a few hours.
Still no sign of any problems with the rest of my fish so that's good news.
I think my next purchase needs to be a Q tank.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:33 am

Just thought i'd share this again, it might be a better pic of whitespot

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:47 am

munchycarrot wrote:
Just thought i'd share this again, it might be a better pic of whitespot

That's what my silver shark had.
If their's no sign of it on my other fish after 7 days I take it'll be ok to turn the temp. down again.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:03 am

That's a shame john, but hopefully the rest of the fish will be ok. As you say, it would be a good idea to get a small tank as an emergency. P@H used to sell Clearseal tanks - no lights in the lid, just plain standard tanks but really cheap. All you need then is a spare heater and filter.

By the way, if you do get a spare tank, it's a good idea to keep the filter for it primed by running it all the time in your main tank. It's then ready for ther q tank if you ever need it, and gives a bit of extra filtration in the main tank the rest of the time Very Happy

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:17 am

Sorry to hear about the silver shark, John but at least you did everything you could to save it. The missing scales could be a sign of the other fish picking at it, either before or after it died.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ich?   

Back to top Go down

Ich?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: