The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Another problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Another problem   Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:51 am

banghead This morning I got up for work and one of my Rosie Barbs Had a strange growth in the area of it's anal fins it was clear and could have been an ulcer. I've never seen this on any of my fish before, When I got home tonight it was dead. I've tried to find out what causes it but I have no idea what it could be as their were no other symptoms, could it be related to the ich that my Silver Shark had?
I took a photo of it in the hope that it might give everyone a better idea of what it was and what I can do to prevent other fish becoming infected.
Unfortunatley I don't think I can put any treatment in my tank until Tuesday as I treated with interpet anti white spot last Tuesday for my Silver Shark.

At present their are no visible signs of anything being wrong with any other fish, but I thought that last night to.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:59 am

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that. Having lost several fish myself lately, I completely empathize. Crying or Very sad

My original Betta developed something similar on its throat but it lasted for a good while before eventually succumbing. The fact that this appeared overnight and was instantly fatal is a bit bizarre but it could've been something internal that just ruptured outwards. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:22 am

Mary wrote:
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that. Having lost several fish myself lately, I completely empathize. Crying or Very sad

My original Betta developed something similar on its throat but it lasted for a good while before eventually succumbing. The fact that this appeared overnight and was instantly fatal is a bit bizarre but it could've been something internal that just ruptured outwards. Wink
Thanks Mary.
If it was an internel infection hopefully it's not contagious. Yet another good reason to get a Q tank.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Sorry john, I missed this post somehow Mad . Hope things settle down in your tank now. As you say, another good reason to have a spare tank handy

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Looks like a fungal infection.

Octozin is usually a good choice for things like this.

The joys of fish keeping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:35 am

GeordieDave wrote:
Looks like a fungal infection.

Octozin is usually a good choice for things like this.

The joys of fish keeping.
It didn'n look like a fungus. It was clear although it doesn't look clear in the photo. I've treated the tank for an internal infection as another rosie barb died a couple of days later with no visible signs of anything being wrong other than it was gasping and struggling to swim properly for a couple of days then died. Couldn't treat it before yesterday as I had to treat my tank for ich last week.
Just hope i've got it right. Their's no more sign of the ich so hopefully that's sorted.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 am

john just out of interest, what are your water stats and temp? Gasping could be due to oxygen depletion and I know you will have had the temp up while you have treated for ich. Did you add an air bubble during that time?

I know it wouldnt have caused the cyst in the photo, but it might be a cause for a fish gasping etc.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:51 am

Diana wrote:
john just out of interest, what are your water stats and temp? Gasping could be due to oxygen depletion and I know you will have had the temp up while you have treated for ich. Did you add an air bubble during that time?

I know it wouldnt have caused the cyst in the photo, but it might be a cause for a fish gasping etc.
Ph 7.2, Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 10 ppm. Water temp. was 29c.I have bubbles going constantly in my tank.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:54 am

Guess that rules all of that out then!! Very Happy

Must just be one of those things and hopefully all will calm down now!

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:35 am

yay Almost 7 days without losing a fish and no signs of any problems.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Another problem   Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 am

Glad to hear it. Very Happy

Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184