The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

ich??

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: ich??   Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:23 am

I think a couple of my fish have ich - small grainy white spots on their sides, and on one of the more than the other banghead I dont know why though - no new fish added but I have recently moved house and they had to get put in a new tank because the old one sprung a leak.

Could it be something to do with that - stress? Ive got some whitespot treatment and have raised the temp of the water. Anything else I need to do. I did a water change before starting treatment.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:24 am

hiya driver, sorry youve got this. only thing I can think of is adding some bubbles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:15 am

oh driver, thats a bummer. I dont think you can do anything more than you are doing. What treatment are you using? Just remember to keep treating to the end of the course.

I know some people do say that ich is endemic in fish these days and that it can be triggered by stress, so I suppose a house move and a leaking tank would account for that. Hopefully, because they have been well looked after up to now they will not be badly affected by iit and it wont spread.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:59 am

Diana wrote:
I know some people do say that ich is endemic in fish these days and that it can be triggered by stress, so I suppose a house move and a leaking tank would account for that.

I've come across that theory also and it makes sense. I suggest you give the tank a good gravel clean and water change to remove as much of the cysts as possible, crank up the tank temp to 29/30C and start a course of Whitespot meds. asap, driver. IME Waterlife Protozin is very effective. Wink

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:57 am

well one has died and another two are looking a bit dodgy so it looks like Ive got a bit of an epidemic on my hands Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:24 am

what are you treating them with driver? sorry to hear it seems to be getting worse. The new fish showing signs might have been infected before you started treatment so it might not get too bad.

Fingers crossed!!

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:11 pm

hope it settles down mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:15 pm

WS3 is very good, best one i've come across.

Adding bubbles will help with the oxygen as it will be lessened by the higher temp (as fishfan suggested)

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:05 am

I'm just using Interpet Anti White Spot stuff - do you think thats ok. theres a few fish that looks quite crocked at the moment. they were hanging around the top a lot so ive turned the temperature down a bit so the oxygen in the water is a bit better. they look a bit better now but i dont know what effect it will have on the treatment so i dont know if I am doing more harm than good.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:30 am

the high temp speeds up the life cycle of the parasite & it leaves the fish's body sooner (they become free swimming). The treatment only kills it when it's free swimming

(i had no luck ever with the interpet one) As Mary said - the protozin is very good too - i missed she had put that Rolling Eyes

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 am

I know about the tepm thanks MC. It's just the fish really seemed to struggle when I did that so I had to lower it a bit - even with extra bubbles in they still had problems and looked bad.

I guess I should just finish the current course of treatment and then try something else if there is still signs of spot?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: ich??   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:35 am

driver wrote:
I guess I should just finish the current course of treatment and then try something else if there is still signs of spot?

If you do, make sure to run carbon for a few days to get rid of any excess meds. and also do a large water change before starting a different med. treatment. Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ich??   

Back to top Go down

ich??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: