Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Are they ill?   Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 am

Hiya Gang. Well, you might know that recently I have had to move house and with it came a move for the fish too. I did it as carefully as possible - got a couple of big tubs, kkept them heated, filtered etc and got the tank up and running as quick as possible with the same filters, gravel and even some of the same tank water too.

I thought it had all gone ok, but over the last two days I have lost 3 fish, and now have two fish that are hiding in the tank and not looking very healthy.

I have kept the lights off today to give the a bit of peace, checked the filter is working and checked the water - all stats are fine (0-0-10).

None of the fish have any bumps, lumps or sogn of anything obvious. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Are they ill?   Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 am

Well since the water stats. are fine, it suggests that the filter bacteria transferred ok so water quality isn't an issue. Which fish are the ones that have died? It's possible that the move was more stressful on them than anticipated as it can sometimes happen that fish die in this way. Wink

Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Are they ill?   Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 am

Two tetras and a cory have died, and a cory and another tetra are looking a bit ropey tonight

Any way to help them feel unstressed do you know? The tank is in a quiet bit, not near a window etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Are they ill?   Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:31 am

DONT FEED THEM - if they are not happy they wont eat anyway and food nopt eaten adds insult to injury.

I know you said you kept it all heated - but is there any chance the fish were 'shocked' by sudden increase/decrease in water temp?

Did you keep about 50% of the original tank water? or did you put them in a completely freshly filled tank?

You could (and this is a poke in the dark suggestion) try a little salt treatment and melafix/pimafix (half dose of both) just to help bolster immunity to infections and fungual nasties (if your fish are weak/stressed they are open to all kinds)

During the move - did the containers get bumped about in the car or whatever?

THB - I have found corys dont appreciate being transfered - least bronze corys dont (just a IME) as when i bought them in the past - no matter how careful i was in the transfers etc - id lose 1 in 3

Am I right in thinking the cherry barbs are ok? these are tought little fish (and i still love em loads) - if none of the above is applicable - whilst not helpful - id say put it down to experience - keep doing what your doing - light feed the tank for a week and see who's lft then.

TYhe cherry barbs will (should) be ok and will keep everything cycled somewhat - and once all the casualties have settled - you can think about adding new fish as replacements

I have read a number of times that ppl do simply lose fish during a move and it would be a near miracle not too.

Hope this helps Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are they ill?   Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:12 am

Cory's don't tolerate salt well FF, just do as Rich said, maybe cover the tank so they don't see movement. Keep us posted

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Are they ill?   Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:41 am

Rich wrote:
DONT FEED THEM - if they are not happy they wont eat anyway and food nopt eaten adds insult to injury.

I know you said you kept it all heated - but is there any chance the fish were 'shocked' by sudden increase/decrease in water temp?

Did you keep about 50% of the original tank water? or did you put them in a completely freshly filled tank?

You could (and this is a poke in the dark suggestion) try a little salt treatment and melafix/pimafix (half dose of both) just to help bolster immunity to infections and fungual nasties (if your fish are weak/stressed they are open to all kinds)

During the move - did the containers get bumped about in the car or whatever?

THB - I have found corys dont appreciate being transfered - least bronze corys dont (just a IME) as when i bought them in the past - no matter how careful i was in the transfers etc - id lose 1 in 3

Am I right in thinking the cherry barbs are ok? these are tought little fish (and i still love em loads) - if none of the above is applicable - whilst not helpful - id say put it down to experience - keep doing what your doing - light feed the tank for a week and see who's lft then.

TYhe cherry barbs will (should) be ok and will keep everything cycled somewhat - and once all the casualties have settled - you can think about adding new fish as replacements

I have read a number of times that ppl do simply lose fish during a move and it would be a near miracle not too.

Hope this helps Wink

Hiya Rich, thanks for replying, good to hear from you again mate - what have you been up to?

Anyway, as for the fish, I suppose they might have been knocked about a bit - they were in the back of the van with various bits of frurniture, bags of clothes etc, although I did try and pack them as much as possible.

The cherry barbs look as lively as vere, as you say they might be a bit stronger than the rest.

I'll keep an eye on them all, and have got some Melafix etc so willl add that.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are they ill?   

Back to top Go down

Are they ill?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: