HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

What now??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: What now??   Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Hiya again.

I am sorry to come on again and ask even more questions but I just want to knwo tat I am not going to make things worse.

Update - 100litre tank, wrong fish (apparently dunno ) fin rot, ich poor water quality.

Fish now, have lost a few

3 Guppys
7 Barbs
5 Yellow plattys
2 Clown Loaches
4 mollies
About 6 fry
2 BN

Unfortunately the lovely Angel fish I had was one of the ones that died.

They all look spot free now, and I have done a big water change - about 40% and done a gravel vac and turned the temp down a bit too. Am leaving the bubbles on to help them.

Im just wondering wehat I do now. People have mentioned that I have the wrong fish? I know the Amgel fish was one of the ones mentioned but that has died, are the other ones ok for this tank?

Do I need to change the foam in the filter - will that have ich in it?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 am

The Clown Loaches should be rehomed as they ultimately need a 400L+ tank plus a shoal of 5/6 individuals. If the fish fry make it to maturity, you'll prob be at maximum stock levels anyway. Wink

I wouldn't change the foam filter as you could lose your filter bacteria. Just give it a good rinse in a bucket of siphoned off aquarium water during the next water change. I do this about once a month to remove any fish waste that has built up. Smile

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:52 am

The foams in my filters (for the most part) are the ones I got withthe filters - so they are knocking on for at least 18months old - tbh - leave your filters alone - do as Mary suggests - ie take em out (say once a fortnight or once amonth - depends on how gooey they get) and rinse them in 'old aquarium water' ie when you do a watrer change - geep half a bucket of the water from the tank - and use this water to wash off chuncky bits, excess goo etc (you can lightly scrub the foams if necessary, I tend to just use two pieces of foam to brush each each other)

Everything in the tank (fish wise) is fine except for the clown loaches - I/We are not saying they must go and NOW - but they will grow fairly quickly and the sooner they are moved the better really - I would guess (never had clown loaches due to their size) that you have 3 or 4 month breathing space before it really becomes an issue - enjoy them for now but be mindful that they need (and perhaps deserve) a bigger tank than you can currently give them - of course, if your sure you are going to be getting a big tank thet they will be happy in, then by all means hold on to them.

You have a decent sized tank and have room for a good sized community of lovely fish, thetre are litterally hundreds of choices of fish out there - but for now, keep what you havem maintain them and get the tank cycled etc - hold off the temptation to buy m0ore fish for at leat another two weeks, preferably a month - this gives you lots of time to research fish and or ask the experts (better find a new site for experts Very Happy)

But most importantly of all - remember you have done well to survuve such a disaster and short of a tank burst - things dont get much worse in fish keeping than you have just dealt with

Final very important point - ENJOY THE HOBBY Wink

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:50 pm

As others have said, only the clown loaches are really unsuitable right now.

In my opinion you have a lot of livebearers and could very easily get overrun with fry. I'd be considering replacing some if not all the livebearers with fish that don't breed like rabbits. (But this is just my thought - if you love livebearers and can rehome the fry easily then you'll have no problem) If you really like loaches I'd consider replacing the Mollies with 4 Zebra Loach.

Do you know if your bristlenose are male and female? If so they are likely to breed at some point too.

With the fish you have your tank sounds active and colourful and I think you have done well to get through this outbreak so hopefully now you can relax a bit and enjoy your wet pets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Hiya Bob, glad that all the problems are settling for you. As mentioned the clowns will need to be rehoused, but I also wonder if 100litre is big enough for 2 BN's?

I'm rubbish at all this so dont worry, I'm probably wrong, someone ellse will tell yp better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 am

Fishfan wrote:
Hiya Bob, glad that all the problems are settling for you. As mentioned the clowns will need to be rehoused, but I also wonder if 100litre is big enough for 2 BN's?

That's a good point. I only have one in a 90L and Diana has two in a 240L and they still bicker...Wink

indigoj

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 am

100l should be fine for 2 as long as not 2 males.

BTW ask as many questions as you need, it is what we are here for!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:13 am

With the BN's - 100liter is borderline for 2 - especially if they are both male - as they are new to you - its doubtful we'll be able to sex em for you just yet - I couldnt easily with mine until Id had them for about 4 months - you may know this already but the difference is easy when they are older - males have 'bristles on the noses' (hense the name) and females either dont have any at all (like mine) or much smaller ones - also males grow alot bigger.

If you do have two males - just be sure to have lots of bogwood and at least 4 caves for them - split the terrain between both sides of the tank so thy dont need to meet too often.

As for them breeding - again - this is a long way off and you really dont need to worry about this at all.

Im inclined to agree somewhat about the livebearers - but (this isnt aimed at you) Guppys aint what they once were - these may well still die following your rcent problems - platys breed like flies and mollies to a lesser degree - tbh - you could either leave the fry to be eaten - youll probably get 3 survivors average per brood in your tank - anpother option is to get some smaller predaotry fish that will eat fry - it sounds cruel but its nature way - its better to have a few strong survivors than thousands of weak fish - this is exactly what has happened with guppys over time (intensive selective breeding) - for this - and for your tank, id suggest upside down catfish - 3 would be a good number and these fish are tough customers and quite interesting to watch.

Had your tank been bigger, angelfish would have done this job but not to worry - most LFS (local fish shops) wont take livebearers from you - those that do wont pay for them - so you have to think about what you want for the fry - as said - you could be overwhelmed with fish very fast - my swordtails gave borth a month or so ago and are ready to drop a new brood already - I havent moved the last lot on yet - some 50 baby swordtails - so this time im letting them birth in the main tank and let the fish have some live food - Im also seriously considering rehoming all swordtails for this reason.
Back to top Go down
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 am

I started out with 3 platies and within about 3 months I had about 18 survivors... Even once they were in with my kribensis a couple survived each time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 am

I think livebearers are a pain. There are loads of other fish out there that dont give you the problems of having fry to deal with, so it might be worth thinking about what you want in your tank for the long term.

Youve got to take your loaches back anyway so why not have a look and see what other fish you would like and do a swap - it will be easier in the long run.

One thing though. If you are going to get new fish, treat yourself to a small q tank - you dont want to introduce ich to your tank again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 am

There are many lovely rasboras and tetras out there - they dont grow big (some do - but have a look and check with us) if you dont think a tetra grows big - you may not be aware that Piranha are in fact tetra.

On the other plus side - for every 1 platy - you can keep 2 smaller tetras - so a bigger shoal is possible and generally they dont breed like flies.

Anyway - all things to think about in the future - nothing serious to worry about right now - but as said (and I dont mean to nag) your priority is to rehome the clown loaches - although I suspect theyll eat your platy fry given the chance.

Dont be afraid to ask anything - everyone is noew to everything at the start - weve all learned from others by asking questions - no question is too stupid and double checking or just asking about real peoples experience about fish is useful - ive read about so many fish being xyz and find (sometimes to my horror) that they are far from what the books claim (and your LFS im sad to say is the last person on this planet to trust when your new)
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:22 am

I just recently came across Lemon Tetras. I haven't seen any in an LFS yet but they're very pretty I think. Smile

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 am

very similar to x-ray tetras (ive seen the two next to each other)

I have found the x-ray tatra lose the 'x-ray' part a little when they settle in and colour up - but the fins get nice red n yellow tinges - old moral of the tale being dont over look 'bland looking' fish - rainbow fish are the classic example of this.

I think if you really cant find lemon tatras - x-ray are good alternative Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Bob, glad all has sorted with your fish now. I like the look of those lemon tetras, I havent seen them anywhere.

My local fish place just seems to stock the 'normal' types of fish, not ones a bit out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:36 am

I think a lot of lfs seem to do that. My two local ones dont stock anything out of the ordinary either. I suppose thats where online ones come in handy

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 am

we have a couple of lfs that have a good selection of different fish always something new
in when i visit them.

dekker

Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 am

I do like doing a tour of the various LFS near me. Very Happy

dekker

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm

yeah a trip round the lfs is great just to see what new stock they have in.

dekker

Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am

I went in today specifically to get Congo Tetras but they had only just arrived so I'll go back on Saturday. Very Happy

dekker

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

pics on sunday then mary lol

dekker

Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 am

Well I'll give them a few days to settle into the Q tank first, dekker. Wink

dekker

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm

ok mary good luck with them

dekker

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it's been really helpful and I am learning loads.

I took the clown loaches back to the shop, as well as the plattys. Thinking about things I realise that I dont reallywatn a tank full of baby fish I have to sort out - I just want something that is easy to look after and not worry too much about.

Next problem is that my work means that for the next few months at least I am goiung to be working away for a few days every month. This will mean that water changes are not going to be every week, but maybe every 10 days or so.

I have been reading that having plants in the tank can help with water quality. Is this right, and would it be a good idea to have some real plants in the tank. If so are some berrtter than others?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:09 pm

OK - plants can help with quality - but ime - you need alot of them to make a big difference and they can be as much work as the fish themselves (and a whole lot more expense)

I would say the plants to keep to for your purposes (and as a beginner to aquatics) are moss balls (quite interesting in their own right) java ferns and java moss.

Water changes every 10 days is absolutely fine - some people (many people) only do fortnightly water changes (albeit fairly large water changes)

Im assuming someone will be on feeding duty whilst your away - so I suggest putting out rations into packets for whoever to feed everyday - and hide the pots of food as people say 'I fed them a bit extra cos they looked hungry' in fact - I would suggest slightly under feeding the fish - the reason being is that they will eat everything that is offered when they are fed - and this will lead to lead waste food inthe water to cause problems and less poo.

The day before you go away - do a 40% water change and clean the filters and check everything is ok - something worth doing is asking if your LFS do call out or if they know someone who does - it provodes peace of mind for your baby sitter on the off chance something needs doing.

You could also give your baby sitter the login details for this site or create a new account for them - if they need help - were here (and best of all were cheap Very Happy)

Whilst you are away - have the tank lights turned off - the fish dont need em - the baby sitter could put them on when they feed the fish - as long as they are sure to turn em off again when feeding etc is done - the main reason is that this will massively help in keeping the algea under control - if you have an airline running - incdrease the bubbles as well - this will also drive off more Co2 that the algae will use - and on the off chance the water quality drops a little - will aid the fish.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:48 pm

Sorry, a bit late getting back to this. Thanks for all the info.

I have bought some plants from my local shops - some moss balls from ebay too. The plants are called java fern (or it might have been java moss?), some valis, and some other ones which I lost the name for bt it's a long stemmed plantt so I shoved it at the back.

All seem to be doing ok. I got some plant food when I got them so I am feeding them.

One qestion with the java fern. It keeps floating all over the tank. I have tried wedging it under the bogwood and stones etc but it jst keeps getting free. Any ideas how to fix it??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What now??   

Back to top Go down

What now??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: