Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:44 am

Hiya Bob. I dont have this plant myself (I think Mary might) but I think it has to be tied onto wood, stones etc so it can take root, otherwise it can float about and even block your filter.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:21 am

Java fern needs to be sied in some way - either fishing line, nylon sewing thread (not cotton as it rots too fast) or elastic bands - some people use super glue but Im not too happy about that idea personally.

If you bog wood has some nook n crannies or crack that you can wedge the plants roots into - that will help - but it will take a few weeks to secure itself so be patient (and be sure any nosey fish cant become entangled in any stray threads - this is the advantage of rubber bands)

Fine sewing elastic can be used as well - if you fint it hard to find - go to a fishing shop and buy a spool of bait elastic - its the same thing Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi again everyone - just an uopdate really. Got rid of the java stuff - it was more a pain than anything, but alll the other plants seem to be doing ok. I am doing water changes every other Saturday - about 50%, and that seems to be keeping the water ok.

Do you think it is ok to carry on doing this as the water is fine?

Also, for the plkants, how much lighting do they need - how many hours should I have the lights on for?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: What now??   Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:30 am

If the water changes that you do now suit you and the tank - then stick to it - ie if it aint bust dont fix it.

As for plants - most people agree 8-10 hours a day is about right - the fish dont need it but the plants do - however, you will need to kep a watch on things as algae loves light as much as the planys do - so tbh - unless you aiming for trifid sized plants that grow out of control very quickly, Id suggest 8 hours is enough

The thing with plants is that you need to balance several things to get it just right, ie light, food, co2 (and to a leeser degree, water flow) - if you have too much of any of the primary three, the algae will rule the roost - likewise too little of any of the three

Plants in some ways are trickier than the fish - but it all depends on what exactly your trying to do with them.

If you want a basic bunch of real plants for the fish to swim around (or uproot) then keep it fairly simple and get hardier plants - no need to get fancy unless you want to.

Like someone said to me - the victorians didnt have the luxury of co2 injection and fancy lights and chemical soups for their planted tanks, yet they managed alright Wink (even the tanks were unfiltered)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What now??   

Back to top Go down

What now??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: