Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Bettas   Mon May 11, 2009 11:12 pm

I have an outbreak of black brush algae for some reason in my trops tank. Its a pain, and impossible to get rid of. I have just had to throw away 2 plants because it was covered with the damn stuff!

Reading online, apparently it can be treated with copper (no thanks) or bettas will eat it.

So, can I get a couple of female Bettas? - I have BN's, cherry barbs, harlies, emerald eye rasboras, panda corys. I dont think there will be any porobs with them but just want to check.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 pm

You can have bettas in your tank with no problem in terms of other fish compatability - but thery wont touch the algae - betta are predatory insectivores - they eat small bugs (mozzie larvae that sort of thing)

I know exactly the brown black stuff you mean - its a dog yo get rid if and you wont be able to do away with it in any kind of huury - its a lonfg war on this stuff.

You could and should reduce the lighting levels - perhaps seriously consider getting some rowaphos or something similar to remove phospahte from the tap water - I have high phosphate levels in mine and algae loves it - but i have now gotten a system whereby I dont need rowaphos anymore Wink (its expensive stuff) - Im assuming you insist on keeping your realplants so your always going to be a a catch 22 situation.

Id say romve plants that are caked inthe fluff (as youve done) also get some fast growing plants - treat them as a temproy fixture - onion plants I belive are good for this - but you need to out compete the algae

Withthe phosphate thing in mind - unless you use RO water - cut down a bit on the water changing - if your frequently changing water - your also topping up the food for the pest - when I had to do a lot of water changes in the past in any tanbk - the end result has always been a massive outbreak of algae.

Ottos eat algae - so do most livebearers - expecting a betta to eat it is like trying to buy a vegetarian pirahna - it aint gonna happen.

The Aquakat liquid i use DOES work and its 100% naturaql non chemical solution - a tad expensive but it really does work - dopnt buy it from LFS - they rip you off - buy diorect from manufacterer - the delivery time is usually very very prompt

web link to the stuff you want is

http://www.aquakat.co.uk/products.php?item=3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 12:13 am

Thats strange Rich because two sites I have read on mention Bettas as liking this stuff - as well as shrimps. It only started when I began to give the plants some fertilizer - Seachem Flourish, amount accordint to tank size and water change.

I can only guess that it upset the nutriend balance within the tank and allowed the algae to take hold.

As for the plants - I am seriously thingking of going back to fake. The plants I have loook very weedy anyway thanks to the BN's constantly uprooting them, and now with the leaves being covered in a fur coat iit's just not looking great.

I have no strong feeling about live/fake tbh, although do like the way real plants move in the water flow, other than that I am not a purist in any sense of the word.. Funnily enough, when I had fake plants I used to get the Cherry barbs breeding, but since I changed to real plants they have never managed to raise a brood at all!

I might do a bit of a look round and see if I can get any decent loooking plastic plants - silk are no good because the BN's peel the top layer off!

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OwNz
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 am

i know mollies like algie if this helps ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 am

I dont want livebearers though - fussy aren't I Rolling Eyes

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OwNz
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 am

lol then shrimps i cant think of any other algie eating fish i vae some ramhorn snails coming but no idea if these are anyhelp mate i got a shed load of them too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 9:10 am

One female Betta would be fine as I have a single one in my 90L community tank and she's very peaceful. I didn't know about eating the BBA thing - maybe that's why I've never seen any...Very Happy

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 2:02 pm

if youve added ferts - then actually id think its best to continue as normal and dont do anything different ie with lights - we all know algae is oppourtunist - it will take time for the plants fo rcatch up (and they will)

I found witht he stuff you have growing that the easiest way to remove it id to use an old toothbrush and do a spaghetti twirl thing to gather as much as possible before ripping it off - as you know, it comes off relatively easily - make a daily chore of it and soon it wont grow - algae hates being bullied

Aslo - try to make sure your filtration ios as good as it can be - so that any stray bits gte removed before it gets a chance to settle and grow more

Now you know why (partly) I gave up on real plants Very Happy

You know about the flourish excel overdose trick of course (the carbon feed one) - that worls but gets expensive - the stuff I linked too will work and it wont upset any balances with the plants etc - no need for copper -ime - it doesnt work too well for long anyway Wink

Just cos two sites say bettas eat it - doesnt mean they are correct Wink that aside - female bettas are great little characters - but always watch out for illnesses - mine seemed very prone to dropsy - i cured them a few times but eventually lost the fight (after three times) maybe bad luck on my part but be warned
Back to top Go down
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Tue May 12, 2009 3:55 pm

my word sounds like you have a real problem diana sorry i can't help never had any probs with algae - but like rich i have fake plants i only ever get a small amount on front panel
of tank and my weekly water change gets rid of that - hope you sort it soon.

dekker

Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 am

After reading your thread Diana, I checked my tanks today and it appears that I also have BBA on the "faux foliage" in the goldfish tank... tantrum

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 am

I checked over my tank diary (my paper one not the one here) whilst having females bettas - I too suffered the BBA and they didnt eat it

Least with the fake foliage - you cant do it any harm by boiling, scrubbing it and generally being nasty Wink but as I think I said, when I had real plants, my amazon sword plants suffered most from, BBA - also - in terms of fakes - ive stopped using the ones with really fine almost brush like 'leaves' as these not only trap the most food etc - by also ggorw the most algae (and are very hard to clean) something to think about when shopping for fakes Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Sun May 17, 2009 1:45 am

Hi gang, got a couple of days off so thought I would come and spend some time with you reprobates Smile

Reading through, I am surprised that adding the right anount of ferts would cause bad algae! Thats really bad when you think of it - you either let your planst die a slow deaath from malnutrition, or have some hairy algae beast take over the tank pale

Is there any value in feeding less than the recommended amount - surely that degeats the whole object?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   Sun May 17, 2009 9:04 am

betterto get some than none at all - my idea being to allow the system to adapt gradually overtime - we all know nothing in a fish tank does (or even should) change rapidly

Had an unteresting convo with my KLFS bloke - he was showing me a new two part tank cycle product tgat claims to do a fresh tank in 12 hours and a marine in 24-36 and thats from totally brand new kit and no donar media - as kuck would have it - a microbiologist was inthe shop as well and he checked the bottles over - he said its possible to work with the ingredients - but is it the right thing to do? could it lead to rapid systrem crash in the near future for blast startiung a styem?

Basically he said - the old ways are the best (prawns or peeing) and that if your in a hurry, your in the worng hobby (ie in fishkeeping)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bettas   

Back to top Go down

Bettas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: