Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 am

Some of you may be like me (insane) I mean in that you get regular PFK newsletters in your email

In the last one - I had a link to their site regarding the fluval edge style home/table top aquarium set uo

Frankly - im almost horrified PFK are promoting this thing - its 25liters or so which is ok(ish) in itself BUT to suggest you can keep a 'small goldfish' in it?

Second point - bear in mind gold fish - more specifically the old fashioned bowl - one of the major complaints of said bowl was the distinct lack of surface area for gaseous exchange - now then - watch the video about this fluval edge and you will see where im going with this....

Frankly = from a distance it looks nice - but the practicalities leave alot to be desired

I would say the tank could be used for plants only - but the lighting stinks too - in many ways - I think a baby biorb is a better bet than the fluval edge and I never thought id hear myself say that ...

anyway - anyone else get any thoughts on it or am I the only one to have a gripe (as usual - btw - Oscar in seasame street was my grouchism apprentice - I taught him everything except the alphabet Very Happy )

Last edited by Rich on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:35 am

I thought exactly the same thing as you, Rich. Definitely being pitched as a desirable decorative feature but completely impractical IMO.

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 pm

forgot to mention the rrp of 120 affraid
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:26 pm

I saw this too and was surprised to see PFK seemingly endorsing it. I would have thought that it would have been a complete no-no for them.

Makes you wonder what they get from Fluval doesn't it - enough to put aside the needs of the fish??

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 pm

i think their is a place for these tanks but it is a very small place

ie quarantine tank/hospital tank

cant see any other use for it other than an ornament / shrip / planted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 pm

id agree with you K if it werent for the cost (120) and the really bad lighting and poor acccess

In the PFK video - they did say at some point theyd giuve it a long term review - id not be surprised if they didnt bother

For me - the video made the construction look cheap n nasty (very cheap plastic - the stuff thats easy to crack)

for 120 I know any one of our members here could run up a nice little setup (assuming were talking small tanks and no base/stand) and I think this is a much better 'review' idea than this

I do have concerns with any systemised aquarium set up (always my biggest concern with biorbs and ultimately why i went for the fish pod) and whilst on the subject of fish pod - its 3x the capacity of this system and cheaper, better filtration, full access and very very flexible (ie you doint have to use the supplied filter etc)

Persoanly - if you cant find the space for a 'proper' (half decent) tank (that gives good environment for its inhabitants) then you ought not have a tabk - you wouldnt keep great danes ina 1 bed flat -

Its sad to see anuimals once again becoming furniture - were taking steps backwards - how is this tank much better than a vase for a siamese fighter ?
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm

it seems it is focusing on being an ornament more than a tank

that little opening would be good in some cases you couldnt fit a big fish or a lot of fish in it

i suppose it is meant for cold water fish due to lack of heater which is a bit confusing due to the size and requirements for most cold water fish

i wouldnt try to justify the price as it is cheap plastic and should be priced that way but it is reminding me of the picture fram/wall tanks you can get
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OwNz
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:00 am

horrible things to look at dont know why anyone would want one...
and to have fish in it also there aint going to get a proper oxygen supply as its boxed in..... stupid design and idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:58 am

and my big concern is PFK on one hand try to promote responsible fish keeping and then are openly pushing this thing

Its like the RSPCA advocating barbed wire choke chains for dogs

just my opinion but yes - if its intended to house tropicals, it should have a way of fitting a heater that matches the rest ofthe system - as it is, youd be forced to have a wire from the little opening - ilke wise for proper oxygenation

Then if you did what the guy in pfk is thinking of later on - a small CO2 unit - that more unsightly hardware - almost defeating the whole object

to be blunt - i honestly wouldnt accept one as a gift - neither would I review them in terms of trying it with fish - simply for welfare reasons

you may be aware of a touch of dislike for this 'product' from me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OwNz
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:50 am

im with you 100% mate i hbate the things my boss was gunna order some in for the shop i told him if he did i would smash everyone of them !

hate the damn things bad enough with the biorbs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:01 am

I've seen one set up with 6 white cloud mountain minnows in BAS and it did look nice, not one I'd have though....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts   

Back to top Go down

Fluval Edge - 1st thoughts
Page 1 of 1