what is this and how do you get rid of it

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 pm

i have this film on top of the water in the tank at the mo it is being kept 1 end of the tank by the 3 filter outlets in the tank

but what is it and how did it manage to get on the tank and how do i manage to get rid of it

as you can see their is a place where it starts

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking at kbekl. Is it the dotty stuff that looks like bubbles/white dots?

If it is white stuff, could it be from the pads in your filter. I had it for ages in my goldfish tank and didnt find out till a long time later that it was because I hadnt washed the filter stuff before I started to use it banghead

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 pm

sort lol it seems to be a film of some sort if you look on side then the other you notice their is a difference in clarity oneside clear the other side milky

the outlets of the filters are keeping it down to 1/4 of the tank but if i turn one off it covers the tank but not a thick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:19 am

thats actually fairly normal - it looks sort of like a greasy film doesnt it?

You dont need to worry about it too much but I know of a few waysot get rid (once and for all - not the usual dispertion tricks)

If you have internal filter to spare (any size will do even a tiny one) put it in the tank - at the surface but 'upside down' basically it will draw in the water from the surface (if you position it right) and thus trap the larger chunks in the filter and generally getting rid of the grease

If you have external filters - its a little trickier but basically the easiest way is to by an add -on gadget that fits to the intake pipe of anm external filter - then the filter will draw water from both the surface of the tank (thus the scum as well) as well as the water lower down in the column

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-surface-skimmer-p-972.html

this is one example (eheim surface skimmer) but there are non branded versions for half that price or less.

Hope this helps

PS I also found as a side effect - less algae and less 'smell' fromo the tank - but you do need to keep an eye on things in terms of clogging up and I also find I have to turn off the filter for 30mins or so at feeding time (unless its sinking food) as even with a feed ring - my fish are frentic feeders, send food all over the place and the food ends up in the skimmer (blovcking it even faster)

sounds like work I know but it isnt really and worththe effort Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:33 pm

sorry K never had any of that in my tank so don't know what it is - but looks like rich has it sorted for you, sorry i can't help mate.

dekker

kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:58 pm

yes he has so cheers for that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:02 am

nice one rich

dekker

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:37 am

most LFS have that stuff at the top of their tanks - it isnt anything nasty as such - perhaps at worse slightly smell and usightly if you have an open topped tank

as ive said - relatively easily dealt with - as a side not - another option/cure is these newer (or more expensive) HOB filters that have biowheels attached - these apparantly have a sie effect of dealing withthe greasy stuff Wink

My 70liter has this grease on the top simply cos I dont have a surgace skimmer running - you know me - if it were something to be remothely concerned about - id have dealt withit by now Wink
Back to top Go down
SubSea

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 am

Make sure your hands are washed before putting in the tank, Possibly moisturiser etc of your hands.It dosent take much for a mini slick to appear,flat kitchen roll dragged through it may help pick it up also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 am

well - with all due respect - I hope everyone knows not to put your hands in to the tank with anything such as moisturisers etc remaining on the skin

If you wash your hands - try not to use scented soaps etc - ive found the best things to use are scent free baby wipes - especially the 'pure' versions (ultra gentle type) then to dry any residue off with paper towels and allow to dry for about ten mins if possible before gettng wet with fish water Wink

There are some who feel putting your hands intot he fish water is a bad idea regardless - something to do withthe natural oils on skin - someone once said it 'scares' the fish - mine just seem to like biting me regardless Very Happy

wheres elvis when you need him Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:46 am

Good tip, Rich. I usually try to wait and wash my hands after I've finished doing any tank maintenance. Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is this and how do you get rid of it   

Back to top Go down

what is this and how do you get rid of it
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: