Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Guppys   Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Anyone out there got guppys? I was in the lfs the other day and they had some lovely males gupps - beautiful colours and they looked great in a shooal.

I was really tempted to get some but know they have a reputation for being weak at the mo and I dont want to buy them just to have them die on me after a few weeks.

HAve any of you got some and how have you found them? Worth getting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:26 pm

sorry mate don't have any myself at the moment - had them when i first started
but lost them after a few weeks so not tried again

dekker

alison
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 am

I had some when I got my first tank but they didnt last long if you get males you have to get at least 3 females to every male as they fight .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 am

I had them back in the 80s
ended up with hundreds of the little bug^^ers
Never again
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 am

I keep just Blue Neon male guppies. I started off with six of which two survived longterm. Then I bought an additional four but only one survived quarantine. So about a 30% survival rate so yes, they are a weak species but the three I have are thriving and I've had the first two for more than a year at this stage so it really is a case of survival of the fittest...Smile

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Thats quite a high loss rate really isnt it. Shame really because some of them are lovely looking. They had some at my lfs that were a lovely red and yellow colour - quite beautiful really and I was quite tempted to get them but their reputation put me off.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Might put them on hold then for now. I just feel like buying some fish! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:08 am

its a pity that their survival rate is not as good as their colours - because thats
what attracts them to you i think - well F.F more trips round lfs mate great stuff

dekker

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:57 am

Ive got a tank of gupsters

OK - as said - they are a bit hit n miss - so my suggestion is this - keep only males (if you like the colours) females are much buigger and actually tougher generally BUT dont get as pretty as males.

On the flip side - if you mix sexes - the males really colour up (or if you can divide the tank - but they breed like flies on a corpse in mid summer) and no one will pay for guppy fry.

I found the trick with guppys is to get more than you want (expect losses) and assume they carry ich and treat them as such on arrival - they dont seem to like being moved. Also by your stock from different sources - especially if you do want to breed em (opens up the gene pool etc) - but DONT buy them places like P@H or Garden centers iof you can avoid it as they tend to buy the 'bulk' bred specimens who will always be weaker.

I have also found my guppys benefit from proper (and overpriced) guppy specific food - they have quite small mouths for a start so at the very least, feed em micro pellets or small flake. Mine also love small live foods (i feed em live baby brine shrimp once per week, i now grow my own shrimp) and also they seem to benefit from 'veggie' flakes but im sure a ground up algae wafer will surfice (or some chopped lettuce etc)

At the end of the day, you dont know if you dont try, and at around 1.50 a pop - its not a huge loss if they dont make it. id say get half a dozen and see what happens for you - I now have a group of about 20 - i started with 6 males (3 died) and 12 females (2 died) and i rehomed the more prolific breeders and kept the specimens i liked.

I now have in my colour collection a stunning neon green male which has orange/albino cobra tail markings starting to show.

Guppys are something that need some effort and persistance I think - but they have great little characters and are always out and about and mine are hand tame (kids love hand feeding fish - especially big kids like me)

I know there are dedicated guppy sites around sp they will offer you more advice etc than I suppose I can in all honesty but as mine went into a well established tank (or at least filter) and had no other fish to bother them - I think this helped.

I have very soft water and from what ive heard - this seems to be a factor in a reasonable survival rate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks for that Rich. I dont know if I have hard or soft water - never tested it but dont get any scale in my kettle etc so guess its soft.

I'll have a look round and see what other shops have. I usually buy from the same shop as I have never had any problems with their fish - dont know what the others are like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 am

Rich wrote:
I have very soft water and from what ive heard - this seems to be a factor in a reasonable survival rate.

So do I but I read the opposite! That they prefer hard water...

I also read that most captive bred guppies are raised in brackish water conditions so I add some dissolved salt at every water change. Wink

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:16 am

Never added salt to mollys or gupsters - its an urban myth they NEED it - lets put it this way - they wouldnt breed if they were unhappy with conditions Wink

It could well be a simple luck of the draw as to whether folk get deaths or not - so what id suggest is if your desperate for them - advertise in your local paper - along the lines of 'wanted - guppys for good home - must be home bred' etc etc
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:27 am

if you do get some F.F let us know how you get on with them

dekker

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:43 am

or if your nr my part of the world - you can have some freebee's Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for the offer Rich. I'll have a think about what I am going to do and let you know Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guppys   

Back to top Go down

Guppys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: