The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

a little confused and in need of some advice please :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dompsta

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:46 am

hi there. first of all let me say hi to everyone Smile

this is my first post and first time trying to set up a freshwater tank so am a complete novice Smile

after doing lots of research on the net i have decided to do a fishless cycle on my new tank. its a 90l tank with a 100w heater and filter. it has a few ornaments in there and some plastic plants etc.

after reading on the net about setting up the cycle and checking for ammonia and nitite levels etc i thought i pretty much had it sorted in my head on what i was supposed to do so i went to the local fish store and bought a nutrafin mini test kit and some nutrafin cycle. after reading the instructions that came with the mini test kit, its left me a little confused. on many sites i have read that i need to get the ammonia levels to 5ppm but the test kit doest give me these test measurements. instead it gives me the measurements in 0-7.3 mg/l so dont really know what im looking for when i test. also i read that i had to add ammonia to get the cycle going but the guy at the store has given me this nutrafin cycle. is using this the same as using ammonia? really sorry for all these questions, id just rather get things completely straight in my head before i start off all the processes and try to get it right first time Smile

again sorry for the questions and any help would be greatly recieved Smile

dompsta
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:27 am

Hi and welcome to the forum
I Havan't done the ammonia cycle so sorry no help here.
but someone will be along soon to help you
Back to top Go down
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:20 am

hi dompsta

first welcome to the forums
on the subject of cycling being as you have brought the nutrafin test kit i would say to go with what that say then you know where you are, give it a try then get back to us and let us know how you get on, just keep doing a test every day to keep a check on things - but dont forget no fish till its cycled.

good luck.............dekker

dompsta

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:52 am

cheers for the fast replies guys Smile

there is no way i will even risk putting any fish in till i know its 100% ready for them. im in this for the long haul now and want it all to be right first time Smile

gunna try and get it going. if i got any more probs then i know now where to come Smile

dom
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 am

Good luck Dom
its the worst part but you will get there honest.
keep us updated and pics of course
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:04 am

Hiya Dom, and welcome to TFF.

First, well done on deciding to do the fishless cycle, it really is the best way to prepare your tank, and gives you time to decide what fish to get too.

You say you have some Nutrafin Cycle? I am sorry to say this, but it is rubbish and will not do anything for your filter. I know the manufacturers say you can add it to your tank and get fish right away, but you can't.

The only manufactured product that contains bacteria and works is something called Bio-Spira, and that is only available in the States.

Try and get some pure Ammonia - Ebay, Boots or Homebase are usually good places to get it from, or some online sites too, and start adding that.

As for what result to look for on the Nutrafin test, 5ppm is the same as 5mg/l

Dont know if you have seen them, but there are some useful articles in this section on fishless cycle etc that may be useful.

http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com/cycling-and-water-chemistry-f70/

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dompsta

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 am

hi guys.

firstly thank you sooo much for ur fast replies!!!

im gunna take that cycle back to the shop.

am gunna get a bottle of pure ammonia from the same shop or possibly boots.

another couple of questions i forgot to ask earlier. when i start filling the tank, will the water de-chlorinate itself over a period of time? do i wait for this to happen before i start adding the ammonia? once i start adding the ammonia, do i just add then test, add then test till i get it to 5ppm?

sorry for all the questions but like i said, im a complete novice and just want everything to be right

dom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:14 am

You dont have to worry about dechlorinator at this time - only when you have your fishies swimming about.

Dont worry about asking questions - the more the merrier. Smile

BAsically, fill your tank full of water, gravel etc, get the filter going and the heater.

Add ammonia, a small amount at a time and test after each time you add some. Keep adding till you get a reading of 5mg/l.

After that, check the water at the same time every day, and if the ammonia level drops, add a bit more to bring it up again.

As mentioned before, read the article on herte about the fishless cycle, it explains it fairly well I think, but just ask questions as and when you need to Smile

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a little confused and in need of some advice please :)   

Back to top Go down

a little confused and in need of some advice please :)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1