The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

planning my fishies: will these live happily together?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jack O Byte

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-08-05

PostSubject: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi again Folks,
I think Iím finally getting there and my provisional list of tank-mates are;

A mix ( total of 6 to 8 ) Zebra, Pearl, Spotted and Leopard Danios (am I correct in thinking these will school together?)

4 Penguin tetras

2 Black Mollies

...and either...
6 Julii Corries and 10 Amono shrimp
...or...
6 Chain (dwarf) loaches.
Iíve read that Chain Loaches may nip at Corries and shrimp, and even kill them! hence the option.

Do you think this is a suitable mix for a first-timerís tank? The tank holds 80 litres after the gravel and pump are installed.

Cheers,
J

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 pm

Go easy on the shrimps mate you don't need ten of them in an 80L tank

And I'm not the expert here, but I'd say that the rest of your setup sounds fine. Don't know about loaches though, never kept them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 am

Cheers,

The shrimp are only about 20mm so are quite small and aren't supposed to have any affect on the chemical balance, but ok, I'll cut back on them a bit.
They looked quite cool as a group scurrying about on the floor of the shops tank!

Cheers for the feedback. J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 am

Diana,

I noticed that you have Panda Corys and Dwarf Chain Loaches in together. Do you have any problems with them co-habiting?

Cheers,
J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:53 am

hi jack

sounds and looks ok to me but as K has said i would just go for 5/6 shrimps mate
hope all gos well

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Jack O Byte wrote:
Diana,

I noticed that you have Panda Corys and Dwarf Chain Loaches in together. Do you have any problems with them co-habiting?

Cheers,
J

Hi Jack, I was just reading your post. I have panda corys and chain loaches and they are fine together, no problems at all. I haven't heard of them being incompatable and they and the 2 BN pleacs I have all seem to muddle along fine. I have always thought that the chain loaches were a peaceful fish tbh.

If I were you I would have a single species of Danio's. They like to be kept in a shoal with their own kind, and so a single group rather than a mix of different species will benefit them.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks Diana, that's good to know, I'd really like Chain Loaches!

What would be a reasonable shoal of Danios (so they don't get lonely/insecure)? ie; if I decided to have a shoal of leopard AND a shoal of Zebra? Or do the seporate species not get on?

Thanks,
J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:11 pm

All of the danio's will get on ok. It's just that if you have a few Leopard they stick together, and the few Zebras's will stick together, so a mixed shoal doesn't work.

You need about 6 of each for them to be happy. Your tank is 80litres, is that right? Looking at your prospective list, if you are going for a decent sized shoal of both Leopards and Zebras, then it might be as well to forget about your tetra's.

I only say that because of the size tank

2 shoals of danios
2 Mollies
6 Corys
6 Chain Loaches

By the way, with the mollies, if you want to get them then make sure they are not a male/female pair. Also, they do tend to prefer brackish water so in a plain freshwater tank their life expectancy isn't as good.

How.s the cycle going now then - what sort of numbers are you getting?

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks for advice on fish numbers, and yes, I'll definitely swap the numbers around so as I increase some then I'll reduce others.

The cycle's going great. If I'm reading the colours right (API master tester kit)... nitrite is the worst to read as it's currently a very vivid but transparant purple (has been for three days now) ie; the colour chart doesn't seem to match it due to the chart being solid paint rather than a liquid. Am I making any sense???
Also, if I hold it against the white bit of the chart then I get shadow, which darkens it...if I do it in more light to remove the shadow then I get light reflection off the test-tube!!!

Ammonia and nitrate are MUCH easier to colour match for some reason!

The ammonia is topped up to "darker than matching four but lighter than eight" every evening and it's lighter than two by the following evening. It needs about 15 drops of (Boots) pure ammonia to top it up each time.

Nitrate is currently around 20.

Cheers, J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:41 am

Dont worry too much about the nitrate at this stage, or the ph as they will be all over the place.

I would aim to match the level 4 colour rather than try and guestimate between 4 and 8. It will make it easier for you to know exactly what level you are dealing with and reduces the risk of overdosing .

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the advice Diana, what is the effect of overdosing with ammonia?

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 pm

It kills off the bacteria that you are trying to build up, so slows down the cycle process. just keep topping up to the 4 level till you get your nitrite spike and that should be fine.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Great, thanks.

Regarding the nitrite, should the test look transparant(watery) or opaque purple when it's spiking?

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Jack, if you have a look on the cards for the API kit, the colours get darker as they get higher.

The NirtIte could well get to the darkest on this chart, nut not always - it does vary from tank to tank.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Your cards are MUCH clearer than mine. (All the tests are on one card). More redy-purple than pure purple at 5.
I can tell immediatly from your card that my water is slightly more than 1.

Shame I didn't get seporate cards with my kit. confused

Thanks,
J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Here's the rest f the cards if you find them easier to see. They must have changed the layout since I last bought some. Got these photo's online so can't claim the credit Smile

AMMONIA, HIGH RANGE PH

NITRATE

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:15 pm

bugger! My ammonia is at 8!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Ooops!

Don't worry, it's easily done. If I were you I would do a 50% water change, test the water, see wht the result is and take it from there

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Will do it when I get home tonight. Thanks again for your help!

At least my gravel looks happy! tongue

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:22 pm

No probs, at least you know what's going on now Smile

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:59 pm

I dont think mine is quite as high as 8ppm but how do i know whats 5? lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Morning Phishy,

just try and colour match it to 4, that's what Diana suggested to me and it worked a treat. If it's darker, then replace 50% of your water and start from there.
Oh, and use her colour charts above! the single one I have that has all the tests on it is completely different.

BTW: I was adding no more than ten drops of ammonia, sometimes only five, a day. Not sure what a teaspoon holds but I recon more than that. Too much and you kill the bugs you're trying to breed.

Good luck,
J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks everyone Smile i replaced 10% of water yesterday and its now only slightly darker than 4ppm so i'm happy this is about 5ppm now
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Hope this works for you phishy, but I tried judging mine to "slightly darker than 4" and it was only when I started matching my water to the level 4 colour that the cycling kicked in...

Good luck with it,
j

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: planning my fishies: will these live happily together?   

Back to top Go down

planning my fishies: will these live happily together?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1