Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:53 am

Ok i saw this happening four times in the last six days so i thought i'll write about it here

My pleco is always hiding behind the biggest piece of driftwood during the daytime. This is normal i guess as they're nocturnal creatures

But here comes the weird part

the rainbow shark has been nibbling away to glory at the pleco's skin just like a hungry living fish would do to a dead one

at first i thought it was dead. but no! the pleco is very much alive, with a full round belly (all that zuccini maybe Razz)

is this normal (like remoras eat parasites from sharks. and birds eat parasites off buffaloes) or is there something serious going on?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:14 am

hi k diane might know better but i would say its not good
Back to top Go down
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:45 am

Damn. HELP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am

I can't say that I've come across this behaviour before so no, I wouldn't say that it's normal. I'm surprised that the plec actually tolerates it. Maybe it's love?! laughing

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:19 pm

I would be a bit worried about it to be honest, although its not something I have heard of before.

It could be that the plec has some fungal or parasiitic growth (have you seen anything) but I would be worried that it wasnt well as I would think the normal reaction for any fish that is getting 'pecked' at by a tank mate would be to hide/move away or retaliate.

If the plecs skin is undamaged now there is a real danger that it will become damaged and infected if the shark continues to do this and that is the problem.

The sharks can get bolshey and aggressive to other tank mates so you could have trouble brewing I am afraid.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:37 pm

The rainbow shark is a real tiny one and has never shown any aggression so far- except when it was with an even tinier shark that it used to chase round- and the pleco doesn't even seem bothered by what's happening. I haven't seen any fungal growth on it- the skin looks pretty much perfect.

Oh and right now the shark is the smallest fish in the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:35 pm

I think with rainbow sharks they are ok in a community tank if they are not the biggest and if their tankmates are able to show it they are not the boss.

They can grow to a reasonable size I think - about 6-7" but even if they are small, if there is a fish in the tank that does not retaliate or put the shark in its place, it may well be the victim of bullying.

Unfortunately I think that may be starting to happen with your plec. If the shark continues to do this the plec will ultimately get ill or injured.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 am

The plec is about 10"-11" while the shark's around 3". But it's quite strange that such a big fish does absolutely nothing to prevent such a tiny one from biting it. Masochist pleco and sadist rainbow shark Shocked fish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:35 am

It might have the Napoleon complex lol. You know how you can get a little terrier dog that will have a go at a rottweiler and not think twice about it?

You have the fishy version Smile

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:45 am

hi K i think if it continues and your plec shows any sign of illness i would take the shark out of the tank mate and try to rehouse him. hope things settle down in your tank K .

does sound an odd situation.

kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:46 pm

I know- extremely odd indeed. By the way- this behaviour seems to have lessened in the last two days (for whatever reason) but I don't think it has stopped completely. Let's watch for a few more days and hope for the best

And the Napoleon complex? lol i think it's quite possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:16 am

lets hope its just a one -off thing mate

kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:47 pm

And it happened again today. Plec was lying in the corner. Shark slowly crept up from behind. Extremely slow. Started nibbling away at the plec. Plec didn't move. Shark continued nibbling. And i put my hand on the glass and the shark ran off. dunno
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:51 am

looks like one has to go k Crying or Very sad
you dont know what happens at night when your not there
it could be distressfull for your Plec
the sharks a bully.lol
Back to top Go down
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:07 am

Yeah looks like the shark might have to go. I still find it so hard to believe. Maybe the shark isn't even biting at all- just nuzzling, perhaps? Maybe it's a weird form of love for a tankmate scratch ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:35 am

Think you have to rehome the shark k, by the sound of things it isnt going to leabe the plec alone.

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:02 am

sounds very much like the shark has to go mate, has the plec got any marks on him where the sharks been nibbling, plus which was in the tank first the shark or plec.

Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:55 am

Im no expert but i think this is entirly a territory thing

Sharks like hiding spots too - maybe the plec has the best spot in the tank ?

Also, plecs are called 'armoured catfish' for a reason - i handled my pplec a couple of times (my make Bristlenose) when cleaning out caves and rehoming sprogs - the scales are hard as nails - it may just be the plec doesnt give a damn because it cant feel the shark having a nip.

I would decide which you want to keep and which you want to rehome - but from what ive read n heard, the shark will more than likely pick on another tankmate if you move the plec and keep on attacking until the tank is his own.

Sometimes - you have to move a beautiful fish on for the longterm sake of your tank

Community tanks are called it for a reason, adding more sharks will increase the aggression all round - this is why you see happy sharks in bigger tnks with lots of hiding places Wink or in such huge groups that everyone is scared to move Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:41 pm

I think you're right about the armour bit- I've held my plec once and it felt like a rock. As for the whole hiding thing, my tank is big enough now, but there's just one hiding place- behind a piece of driftwood that's just over a foot long, where the plec normally hides in the daytime

I think I'll just have to get some kind of cave structure for the shark, any ideas for that? I'll be visiting Crawford Market today (it's this huge market with fifteen fish-and-bird shops side-by-side, among a lot of other things) so i'll try to find something there for the shark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Hiding places are not going to alter the in built temprement of thre shark though k, and I think that is the main problem to be honest.

If you want to add hiding spaces then extra plants (can be artificial), extra bogwood, caves etc will all help. I think if you have a scroll through the Rich's tanks thread you can see how caves and pieces of slate etc can be used to provide a lot of hiding places.

I nicked some of those ideas for my tankf (shhhhh, don't tell him! Smile)

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 pm

I don't mean to defy the experts, but.... I've had that shark for a year now, and this is the only fish he's troubled since he killed his mate (which was within a month of their arrival. i didn't know that rainbow sharks can't stand each other)

And I don't know where to rehome him- what if the store owner feeds him to an arowana or an oscar?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:02 pm

If you want to try and keep him k, then I would load the tank with bits and pieces so that the plec has other places to hiide.

Have a little look in this thread for the sort of thing you need to be aiming for. I have done a similar thing because I had 2 BN's that would fight constantly, but giving loads of different hiding spaces eased things considerably.

It's worth a try

http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com/your-tanks-f4/rich-s-tanks-t74.htm

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:58 am

oi - get off my tank Razz

Seriously tho K - not bragging here - but i had lots of bottom dwellers and the layout stopped 90% of fights

2 breeding bn's, a snowball, rams, assorted other cats on different occasions (a sailfin, regular plec etc) - again, all inmates were listed

What you could do is keep to bogwood and make a pile out of it - thecheap alternative is to use old clay plantpots as caves Wink

anyway - have a look around and get some inspiration - if you werent in mombay id send you a load in the post
Back to top Go down
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Well. Thanks for all that information. Yesterday when I went there (Crawford Market) I saw loads of cavelike things in all shapes and sizes- castles, bridges, barrels, etc. But they all looked really strange with the kind of colours they'd been painted with- eventually I bought four fluorescent plastic tubes (not that they look good, it's just that they're not so visible when underwater)

I love the way your tanks are done- all those plants and hideouts- but I don't think I'll be doing that, because I want to see my fish and make sure they're all there fish

And I even got four new fish- all of them black ghost knifefish

Now the shark has started chasing them too- it's definitely going back to the LFS today or tomorrow

Oh and it's either Mumbai or Bombay. Mombay doesn't exist Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:01 am

knife fish grow huge as far as im aware and are predatory

take those back too before you end up with just one thats too big for your tank anyway

Most of my plants are fake - so its easy to pull em upp and check eveyone is alive - my snowball usually ate any bodies anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange behaviour !!   

Back to top Go down

Strange behaviour !!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: