Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 am

Whats all the black stuff they are resting on Rich?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 am

Black stuff? - giant (fake) leaves
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am

Bit of news - good in ways but no so good in others....

During the monthly big clean of the gecko viv - I found eggs in the substrate....

Sadly, I didnt know they were there and I disturbed them - for those who dont know, reptile eggs shouldnt be moved especially turned as it kills the embryo and I think, well im sure the eggs were turned when i disturbed them.

Anyway, on the off chance I have got away with it, I put the eggs back, they usually hatch after a couple of months but if they are alive the eggs will get bigger.

Anyway, it isnt a certainty that they are fertile in the first place as female crested geckos will lay a couple of eggs at the start of the season even without any males present, and im still unsure of the sexes of all of them.

Anyway... I'll have to get some pics of the eggs
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 am

This was a fun thread! Great pics of the geckos, which are all handsome animals. Some years ago I did a commissioned pen & ink of a crested gecko & had to be really careful of all those little spikes around the eyes.
It's a really nice set-up you have for them, definitely worth all the work!

Jackie
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:59 am

Rich, I have read your threads with interest.

If I remember right you got rid of the fish because they kept having babies (one of the reasons anyway).

Seems you have just changed the species of the babies! Smile You must know how to keep your critters happy Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:47 am

One of my cresties has grown up to be a crowned crestie - basically the 'spikes' are more obvious around the head than normal - which makes her more valuable and thus a good potential breeder Wink

Anyway - I have to sort the pics I took out as they didnt come out properly last time so a delay in posting Sad
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 am

Bad shot of gecko eggs - probably infertile but if they do hatch - due early june or july (take 60+ days normally to hatch)

Amber (bottom) and Topaz (on top) watching the fish - something they do a lot of (my original 2 geckos)

Amber on 'her' bamboo root

Nighttime distant shot of Amber on her root showing left half of vivarium (reminds me - must get a new decent shot of the viv for you demanding lot Very Happy )

Topaz plotting another great escape - now she just sits and stares at me looking cute, hoping I will turn my back so she can leg it - no chance Very Happy

Oakley (my newest and smallest gecko) watching me put dinner in (tub of crickets)

Oakley again - hunting bugs, think of how a cat shuffles its rear end into its front to load the spring just before pouncing.... thats exactly what these geckos do when hunting bugs - and what Oakley is doing here (the geckos look cool when they do it cos their eyes get huge when theyve locked onto a target)
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 am

SMcM1 wrote:
Rich, I have read your threads with interest.

If I remember right you got rid of the fish because they kept having babies (one of the reasons anyway).

Seems you have just changed the species of the babies! Smile You must know how to keep your critters happy Smile

Babies were part of the reason - but the general upkeep was another - with now stage 4 kidney failure im really tired 99% of the time - no energy 100% of the time and in n out of hospital lots too - so I got something easier for me and family to care for and something to make use of the tank - I could have got gerbils but I fancied something different for a change (and gerbils chew things up)

Least this way - my tank can still be used for fish at a later date if circumstances improve for me Smile

On a side note - it isnt unknown for female crested =geckos to lay sterile eggs at the start of the season without the presence of males which is what I suspect has happened here - but Oakley is still quite small and there is a chance of 'it' being male - although I still dont see any bloke bumps so still fairly sure its female - but Im kinda caring for the eggs (or leaving nature to it) on the off chance they are fertile AND still ok after me accidentally disturbing them.

I will know for sure if there is a male in the group in a couple of months if I find more eggs (and or babies)

I still have my 75ltr arcpod and my mums biorb so im not without fishy company Smile
Back to top Go down
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:45 am

Sorry about your illness Rich, can understand how you need to make things as easy as possible. My sister had renal failure and she felt tired a lot too.

Do the gecko's get allowed out of their vivarium? I know some people let reptiles have run of the house but I don't know if the ones you have move too fast for that Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 am

I dont let them do their own thing as they can climb very fast on anything except teflon - see the above shot of one behind a picture - so i do handle them sometimes - Oakley doesnt mind it at all, but the other two aint happy so I only handle them once a month for cleaning - but they all like being stroked and head massage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rich's Vivarium Thread   

Back to top Go down

Rich's Vivarium Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3