AuthorMessage
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Keep or give away   Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:47 am

My poor poor poor pleco

I give him (or her) algae wafers everyday...

And now the iridescent shark has started to eat EVERY algae wafer
there's two ir. sharks... one is all quiet and the other one ate eight to ten wafers today

the plec doesn't get anything to eat i'm scared something will happen
I had to keep putting wafers till it got a few for itself
out here wafers are the most expensive fish food, they cost quite a bit, so i don't want to finish off a packet like this every week or two (that's definitely going to happen at this rate, and keep in mind i'm talking about the bigwafer pack)

the algae wafers are meant only for the plec. the rest of the fish get tetrabits and the normal granule food

how do i stop the plec food from getting eaten by the wrong fish... i don't think i'm feeding the shark too less because no matter how much of regular food i put it ignores it all and goes for the wafers

i tried out a time delay (ten minutes) between the ordinary food and the algae wafers but no it doesn't work

should i give the shark off to an LFS or keep it and find a better solution....???? any ideas...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:50 pm

try feeding at different places in the tank K see if you can get some to him that way. good luck mate.

kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 am

i've tried that too

and i've even seen the two of them fight over wafers- the shark literally pulls them out of the plec's mouth sometimes

oh well. I might just end up getting another tank (YAY!) and shift the shark there. I wish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:45 am

sounds like that may be the only solution then K

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 am

The sharks can be trouble k, as I think you know.

Are you feeding the plecs with the lights off and at night?

If you have tried that, the only other thing I can suggest which ay help is to put a lt of hiding places in the tank - I think this has been suggested before bit I am not sure if you did it or not.

Lots of caves, wood, plants (they can be artificial) give the fish different hiding places and may cut down on this aggression.

Other than that, the only option is to get rid I think.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

Hiya k.

What size tank do you have - youve got some mega sized fish there in your list.

No expert as you know, but I think the suggestion about plants wood and caves is a good one. The plecs need wood anyway and I think tanks look great when they have alot in them and more interesting for the fish too (if they care about such things lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 pm

My tank is 5 foot x 1.5 foot x 2.5 foot

True that I have some "mega sized" fish- the sharks get to 4ft in the wild, but the biggest ones I've ever seen are about 2 feet long- mine are growing and the irritating one is about 7.5 inches now, the pair of them were less than 3 inches each when I got them (someone gave them to me, I wouldn't ever go and buy them on my own)

I'm not feeding the plec late at night- he gets food with the others, which is generally between 9 and 11 at night. Lights stay on at home till 11:30ish

I have some tall plants at the back and driftwood too- just bought a bit more of both, so I'll be putting it in sometime soon

The 'caves' you get around here look horrendous- all the bright red and pink colours make me feel sick- I got some less noticeable plastic tubes for the smaller fish to hide in

Anyway. I will try feeding the plec in total darkness tonight- let's see if it works or the shark manages to find them before
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 am

If you overlap the driftwood so that there are little nooks and crannies then the plec will have somewhere to hide.

Feeding with the lights out may well help, as mentioned, but thinking about it you may have a problem anyway with your stocking.

You have -

two iridescent sharks - Like to be kept in groups of 5 or more and can reach 3ft long

one goldfish - coldwater not tropical and will make a nice snack for some of the others

one rainbow shark - Territorial, will attack other fish. Can grow to 8"

two gold gourami- Need a well planted tank. Can be aggrrssive to tankmates when bigger. Can grow to about 6"

four blue-orange gourami- Is this the Blue Gourami hybrid? Males can be very territorial. Can grow to 4"

three "black ghost" knifefish
- Need a shelter and dim lights and floating plants. Will eat smaller fish. Can be aggressive to others of its own breed. Can grow up to 20"

and one pleco- not sure what type, but some of these can grow big. need caves or planting to hide in.

All in all k, there are a few problems brewing for your tank because a lot of the fish are either territorial or aggressive. The problems that you have had so far indicate this - didn't you have a problem a few weeks ago?

If you want to try and keep this mix (and I think that may be impossible to be truthful) you need to try and get your tank very heavily laden with plants, wood, slate etc.

I think you were give a link to how Rich used to do his tanks? Aim for as near to that as you can.

Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant. You have a lovely big tank and I dont want to put a damper on it for you, but if you are going to have a chance of avoiding problems it is best to get things sorted now before the fish get too big.

Finally, have a think of your current fish in their adult size, in your tank - some fish at least a foot long, others maybe 3ft long. Do you really think you can have them in your tank?

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:57 am

Well. About them growing to their 'adult size'
They eat a LOT of food, trust me, but they don't seem to grow much...

the blue hybrids are all 3.5-4 inches long (so they're fully grown) They show very little aggression, there's an ignorable level of fighting during feeding, but that's allright, it only happens once in a while

One of the gold gourami is about 3.5" long and the other is 3"- nearly the same size as when I got them- they show zero aggression as of now

The goldfish- he/she is large enough not to be a snack for any other fish at the moment

black ghosts- they eat loads too, not growing (so far) still about 3.5" each

iridescent sharks- here is the real problem. they're 7.5" and 5", and the bigger one plays tug of war with the plec everyday (even in the dark, they can see the food somehow, i checked on this with a torch). the smaller one doesn't seem to be predatory or preyed upon by others

rainbow shark- a loner. once in a while he will chase the ghosts but he can't really do much.

plec- extremely peaceful most of the time but snaps out at the shark when they fight over the plec's food

So what I'm going to do now is... put some more wood and plants in the tank... and say bye-bye to the iridescents (and eventually the rainbow shark)... the ghosts will also have to be relocated in the future if they become the 20" monsters you warn me about (or even 10")

the only sad part about all this is that there's no good LFS i know of, that actually cares for all their fish properly and displays fish for something more than the money they earn from selling them. *sigh* it's a sad life for the fish

I'm definitely not going to give them to the dealers at crawford market- those guys can't keep fish for nuts- I'll have to drop in at a place I know closer to where i stay

Bye, Pangasius Hypopthalamus! It was nice knowing you! first smiley Let's hope you get a decent life in the outside world!

They will both be moved out soon (hopefully this sunday) so the pleco will have some peace at last
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:42 am

Try some courgette for the plec to eat mine love it and it should have a chance to eat if you put a tidy size in the tank
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:00 am

Just to point out an old myth demonstrated here - goldfish are very adaptable

They have been kept for hundreds of years WITHOUT heaters, filters etc - and originate in Asia

Now K lives in India - his climate is actually perfect for both goldfish and tropicals so they CAN live together in HIS circumstances - it isnt ideal as such but do-able - its sounds big enough to avoid most trouble.

The old plec feeding problem. Now i had a similar problem with my plecs K and you now what? dont worry about it. My plecs never touched a wafer - they much [prefered proper fresh food such as courgette/zuchinni (same thing different name), mine also liked pieces of freshly cooked salmon, prawns, water cress, lettiue (of different types) apple cores, mango, peas - basically have a hunt thru this site for plec feeding ideas.

The problem here is not the speed of the feeding - its the choices of food - and the wafers are more loved by the sharks than the plecs Wink You also need to think about the natural behaviour of each of your fish - plecs are generally browsers - they like to take their time eating - sharks - well, are sharks Very Happy

I too was told gouramis can be argumentative and in my experience (ime) - its true - but only if you keep them in small or average sized tanks - my biggest tank was at the high end of average and so with 3 golden gouramis - I had some fighting at the start but it soon doed down - but they also picked on otherfish - interesting tho it was only fish of the same colour as the gouramis Wink - at the end of the day - you can take our advice or that in books and the web or try it yourself.

Gold blue gouramis sound like a morph mix so probably the same as your 'golden' with a bit of blue - im not sure which came first (the golden or the blue) but one or the other is probably a random morph at some point and selectively bred from there - research will answer this if your interested Very Happy.

However - I will say we did warn you about sharks and knife fish - and its all we can do - the rest is up to you but one day - those knife fish WILL become a nightmare to the other tank mates.

You have a lovely big tank - I personally would suggest (as ideas) keeping a few bigger plecs (if your into plecs) and perhaps an oscar or two, maybe a few silver sharks ?

All bigger fish and fairly easy to keep Wink Most of all - not too much fight club mentality Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Hiya k. DDid you manage to rehome any of those fish of yours?

Loooks like you have a job on your hands - some lovely fish there but I guess compatability is just so important even in a big tank set up.

I would love to have a tank that size. How often do you do your water changes etc? Must be a major job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 am

Okay. I managed to "re-home" them today. My net was too small so I had to go and buy a big net just to catch them- it was a pain because they're so fast and splash loads of water out of the tank- but eventually I managed to get them both out

A real sad thing that happened was that the small iridescent got its right fin stuck tight in the net and I had to cut off a small piece of the net to get it loose- I tried my best to disentangle it but couldn't.

Now they're both swimming in the LFS's display along with 15 other iridescents (most of them over a foot) and a HUGE brown plec- that plec is atleast 2 feet long and has a real big head too, almost disproportionate to the body- but I've read online that their heads grow in a weird way as they age

Anyway, my plec managed to have all his wafers happily for the first time today

FF- I do a 25% water change every 10 days or so. I just cleaned out my filter after ages and it was a terrible 90 minute job, but it's worth it... All the LFS guys told me to clean out the filter once in a year (they're total idiots, as I've now seen) but my cleaning came after 4 months and it was horrible job- all that brown muck at the bottom

Well atleast my other fish are happier now. I dread to think of the time when my ghosts will have to be rehomed the same way (this I'm sure will happen in a couple of years). But they're fine now, so I'm going to let them be until they do something weird

Rich- the gourami morphs I think are selectively bred from the 3-spot blue gourami. They have three faded spots and a reddish orange anal fin, and are slightly bigger, otherwise they're the same as the 3-spot. By silver shark do you mean the Bala shark? I've seen a lot of those and considered buying them a few times but then decided not to (they grow to 12 inches I believe) (and don't ask me why I got iridescents in the first place. I got them from someone who thought it was a nice gift, the same guy who gave me my plec). As you say I know the knifefish will become a nightmare to the rest eventually, but now they're quite tiny, so I think I will keep them until they grow a little and then give them to an LFS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:02 am

Glad you managed to get something sorted with them k, it must have been hard to do, especially the catching bit!

I bet your plec heaved a sigh of relief Smile

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 am

just be warned about plecs - dont think 'oh he looks hungry' all fish but especially plecs will seriously eat until they literally burst if you let them.

Feeding a plec specifically twioce a week is fine all fish dont know (by nature) when or when the next meal is coming from so theyll take any foo that shows up.

If you read thru my old tank thread - youll see my feeding patterns but keep in mind i had several plecs with different needs - I dont know what your plec is off hand but im/we're happy to advise when/if we find out what it is.

MOST (but not all) plecs will eat most foods but only a small number are real meat eaters - most are mainly vegetarian but will eat some meat when they can - but its important to know what your plec is and thus work out a good diet.

Algae wafers are OK - but personally (and this is just my thoughts) i would only feed the wafers once a week as they tend to be full of junk the plec doesnt really need (like ash and wheat flour) - the best and actually cheaper option is good old fresh fruit and veggies you know it will eat Wink

Cutting the net was the right thing to do btw Wink as for the gunk in filter - thats normal - males great plant food though if you have pot plants in the house or outside plants Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Since you want to know what my plec is- it's not a bristlenose, because it doesn't have any bristles. It has a big big dorsal fin and a spotted pattern, so I'm guessing it's a leopard sailfin plec (the only reason that I'm guessing at the type is because the LFS guy didn't know which one it was)....

Right now I'm giving him only the wafers- three per day- and he's finally got the rounded belly back Very Happy

But as you say I will need to start putting in some veggies- you've listed a lot of those in your post up there! The problem i last had with veggies was that the plec never finished them off completely and they used to bob around the tank rotting away to glory- it was a pain to remove them each time, especially when they stopped at the bottom (my entire arm gets submerged to the shoulder when I put it in and touch the gravel with the tip of my finger)

I still feel guilty about the shark swimming around in the LFS with an inch of net on his fin

Oh and something I forgot to mention- when I was taking the sharks out of my tank, both of them were making these weird sounds- like a frog with a sore throat Smile - And the smaller one was making these click-click-click noises too- I've never heard a fish making sounds and this was a first for me Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 am

Didnt know they did that. Knew some fish did make audible noises, but not sharks Smile

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

They do Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:18 am

Shane you had to move some on K, best thing though.

Are things ok in your tank now, all nice and calm? Smile I would still go and get plenty of plants and hiding places if I were you, it might stop further problems.

Would love to see a photo of your tank k if you have any, it sounds great
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I had put up a picture of my tank some time ago, I do have wood and plants (not enough, I still need more)

Yes things are a lot better in the tank now- the plec is getting fatter because he gets all his food for himself without the intervention- I wonder how the sharks are doing in the LFS! Should drop in sometime and check on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: Keep or give away   Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:13 am

Good news things have settled k, bet the plec is happy now Smile

I'll have a search for the pics, thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile