Share | 

How long?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: How long?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 am

Hi guys, sorry I havnt been on for a bit,but Ive been away with a few buddies on a golfing trip Very Happy

Anyway, back now and continuing th cycle - left in the capable(?) hands of a friend who says he knows all about fish, and have come back and now don't know where I am with the cycle.

When I went away I was just starting to get a trace of nitrate on the (Jungle Quick) dipstick, but now there is nothing at all. I would have thought that it would have gone up more. My know it all friend says that he has been adding ammonia as instructed, but the level of ammonia was spot on and now it is reading higher.

I'm not sure whether to just wait and see or if I need to start over.Worse still, I am away for a few days on work next week sothe timing of all this isnt great.

As usual your help would be great!.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am

its possible the ammonia was overdoses whilst you were away but not to worry - what happens usually (least in my experience of several fishless cycles) is the ammonia can mount up a tad at the very start (not always necessary to add it) but keep it at around 5ppm (so test and redose once per day and if possible at the same time of day to keep things at 24hr periods).

After about 5 days or so - you ought to be getting nitrite readings which will get bigger n bigger over the course of a few days - when the nitrite hits big it off the chart or about 20ppm (some charts go way off 20ppm) you will want to reduce the ammonia going in so readings become about 2 or 3 ppm and continue like this until one day you find both ammonia and nitrite are zero - dose more ammonia to 3ppm for another day or two just to be sure everything is right ie the following day the readings are still 0-0

I will warn you here and now - the ammonia eating bugs are easy to grow but the nitrite eaters take a lot longer - it inst unknown for a full fishless cycle (with no donar media etc ie starting from sterile blank) to take over a month and you must be patient.

Having the tank temp set to 27deg C can help speed things up a bit as too does a good air input intot the tank - as I said before - have a look in the my tanks section and look for rich's tank - right from the start there is a record of my fishless cycle which is a good average example of what to expect Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:09 am

check the ph as well as this can cause a cycle crash

it could be that he has just added ammonia every day and not tested to see if it was dropping by the same amount each time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 am

the problem is K that whilst your right - pH fluctuates during a cycle anyway...

Which is why I tend to advocate ignoring pH until the cycle has finished and the big end game water change has been done Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:55 am

Ah the joys of the fishless cycle Smile

PLodding throgh mine now too. Never thought it would happen wth all the messing I got from the tank suppliers. First tank they delivered had a crck in it so got sent back, second had no lid so got sent back, third seems ok!

The race is on sm!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:36 am

Hi guys. Well I am keeping the ammonia now at about 5, and I am now getting a nitrite of just over 1.

My ph is higher though, so I am going by Rich's advice and not testing it any more.

Just o check, I keep adding ammonia until the nitrate goes right up and then tail back on it, is that right?

How long between the high reading and the end of the cycle about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:03 am

you should find the nitrite rises quite fast over the next week or so Smile

Then you hit the slow part I am afraid - but its better to be patient with a fishless cycle than lose dozens of fish the 'old way' waste of miney, disheartening and unnecessarily cruel.

Stick to it and you'll soon be watchig little swimmers Smile

When your nitrite is very very high - at the top end of your chart - you reduce the amount of ammonia going in to around 2-3ppm your nitrite will remain hight for a bit so ignore it for about a week - just keep adding the ammonia and testing the numbers.

I cant say how long it takes for you to hit the magic zero zero because thats the same as 'how long is a piece of string'

Again you can have a look at the my tanks thread and find my threrad from the start and see the times n numbers for yourself Smile

Hope this helps but dont forget were here to help and if you need my attentio9n fast - send a pm to 'bump' your thread Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 am

Still plodding on with mine too sm. I'm beginning to toy wth the dea of cichlids and knw that yu need to kee them overstocked, but am not sure I want to bother with al the breeding that will go on, and the aggression that happens too.

til got a bit of time to make my mind up though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

PostSubject: Re: How long?   Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 am

also water chemistry isnt the same for average fish either
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content