The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

help please

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: help please   Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:26 pm

I think I may have problems with my fish! Three of my fish are rubbing themselves against gravel and ornaments, and I think one of them might have a small white spot on it but Im not 100% sure.

Could this be ich? I dont know how it can be because I havent added anything new to the tank and the water is fine but I think something is wrong.

What should I do?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: help please   Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 pm

The white spot...is it like a grain of salt? If it's only one spot on one fish i'd hang fire on adding any meds just yet.
What are your water stats? What fish are in there..i know you've probably said that somewhere already Very Happy

My site
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:40 am

Hi MC, The white spot is smooth and very small, it's on one of my plattys and its near the tail on its side.

The water stats are 0-0-15 but i've had loads of problems. Furst all my fish died because of a faulty heater.

I cleaned all the tank, did the fishless cycle and restocked but then had an outbreak of fungus and lost a few fish. That was at the beginning of the month but everything seems to have been ok for the past couple of weeks or so.

Now this and I just dont want anything to go wrong again. It's 2 plattys and one guppy that is itchy.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:47 am

I would still be reluctant to add any meds to the tank guppy, if any other fish get spots or the one who has them, gets more..then i'd maybe try meds for whitespot but not just yet, and only if they look like grains of salt stuck on the fish.
Do you have any meds in just in case? Try upping the temp, if it is whitespot, it will speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

Here's a pic of a black tetra with whitespot

Protozin might be good med to go for as it says it treats...

Waterlife website wrote:
PROTOZIN is used for the control of all protozoan and fungal infections e.g Whitespot, Fungus, Neon Tetra Disease, Velvet, Costiasis and Trichodiniasis. You will require 4 separate applications to complete the course of treatment. By adding the treatment on days 1, 2 and 3 the product safely compounds in strength and does not burden the already stressed animals with a hard hitting formula. The final dose on day 6 is a preventative measure to try and ensure the organism does not re-occur. PROTOZIN's properties are highly effective at treating all its target organisms. Protozin is our best selling disease treatment world wide

Suitable for tropical freshwater and coldwater aquaria.
Available in:
60ml (4 day course for 225 litres)
120ml (4 day course for 900 litres)
500ml (4 day course for 3750 litres)

If you do decide to go that way I'd also stir the gravel up & do a decent sized water change before starting the treatment

My site
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:19 am

That's some good info there MC, especially about the Protozin. It sounds like a useful med to have in the cupboard doesn't it?

Bad luck guppy. It's hard to know at the moment what it could be - it could even be a return of the fungal infection you have previously had Sad

Hope it all turns out ok, let us know wont you?

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:48 am

So I should just wait and see if it spreads or gets worse and then treat? I'll go and get some of that Protozin tomorrow MC, thanks for the info.

It sounds like it is good for a few things so if it does turn out to be anything nasty I'll use that.

How long before I see anything else do you think?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 am

Well if it is something infectious I would imagine that withing the 24-48hrs you will see something - either the affected fish will show more spots, or some of the other fish will show symptoms.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:04 am

Just get the meds guppy & keep a close eye on things. Like Diana said..protozin covers a few things so it's a good one to have in the cupboard.
If anything changes with the spots or how many fish are affected, then i'd go ahead & dose with it. Keep us posted though, good luck Smile

My site
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: help please   Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:31 am

I used Protozin to treat my outbreak of whitespot and found it very effective. Four treatments in six days and the tank temp cranked up to 29/30C. Cleared it up no bother. Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help please   

Back to top Go down

help please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: