The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Say No To Corals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:58 am

While I have nothing wrong with keeping marine fish. Keeping Corals in fish tanks is very selfish and dangerous to the natural waters and the wild fish that live in tropical salt water sea's. I want to let people know that - yes Corals can look very pretty in tanks and create a more natural look to you tank. However, every coral that is taken out of the sea is doing damage to the coral reefs. They are not tank ornaments they are an endangered species. You might look inside you Marine tank and think that that ONE coral doesn't make any difference and you can't do anything about people taking Corals out of the sea. Well, yes your right. Noone can do everything but everyone can do something.
Remember Corals aren't like other plants and fish... You cannot breed them and breed them over and over again. You cannot put two beautiful yellow corals in your tank and expect a bunch of roots or eggs to appear. It take THOUSANDS of year to recreat these amazing reefs.
Keep them where they can survive and belong.
They are not Clown fish, loaches, neons, guppies, shrimps, sharks, fighters etc.... They can be replaced in your tank but you cannot replace the overall effect that is does to the wild fishes and the sea.
Think about it.
I want to know what you all think. Tell me if you disagree. chatting
Back to top Go down
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks for that Very Happy A lot of corals are fragged now though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:13 am

Matty wrote:
A lot of corals are fragged now though.

That's what I thought. AFAIK most of the corals supplied to the aquarium industry are not sourced from the wild but I'm open to correction. Wink

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:34 am

aquanovice wrote:
While I have nothing wrong with keeping marine fish. Keeping Corals in fish tanks is very selfish and dangerous to the natural waters and the wild fish that live in tropical salt water sea's. I want to let people know that - yes Corals can look very pretty in tanks and create a more natural look to you tank. However, every coral that is taken out of the sea is doing damage to the coral reefs. They are not tank ornaments they are an endangered species. You might look inside you Marine tank and think that that ONE coral doesn't make any difference and you can't do anything about people taking Corals out of the sea. Well, yes your right. Noone can do everything but everyone can do something.
Remember Corals aren't like other plants and fish... You cannot breed them and breed them over and over again. You cannot put two beautiful yellow corals in your tank and expect a bunch of roots or eggs to appear. It take THOUSANDS of year to recreat these amazing reefs.
Keep them where they can survive and belong.
They are not Clown fish, loaches, neons, guppies, shrimps, sharks, fighters etc.... They can be replaced in your tank but you cannot replace the overall effect that is does to the wild fishes and the sea.
Think about it.
I want to know what you all think. Tell me if you disagree. chatting

What an interesting topic to discuss, and thanks for raising it.

I dont think that there is much argument that coral reefs are a vital part of the marine ecosystem, and that they are disappearing at an alarming rate. The reasons for it are complex though - pollution and destructive fishing techniques either by trawler or cyanide fishing have a huge impact.

Perhaps the biggest culprit though is global warming. The increasing change in the chemistry of the oceans, caused by increasing levels of carbon dioxide, along with a gradual increase in the oceans temperatures have undoubtedly led to widespread reduction in the amount of healthy coral reef worldwide. Over 1/4 of the worlds coral reefs have already been destroyed, and many of the remaining apparently show signs of 'bleaching' caused by warmer ocean temperatures, or have been destroyed by starfish, a natural predator of coral and whose numbers have increased dramatically in recent years.

Collection of coral from the wild for use in aquariums does still go on, although there are now efforts being made to control its impact. In some areas local fisherman 'adopt' a stretch of coral and farm it. They protect the coral, farming only amounts that ensure its survival, and this is deemed by some to be the best way to manage coral collection. Others say that coral should be captive grown, and while this is slowly being tried, it will be a long time before all of the coral needed by marine aquarists can be provided by this method.

While catching wild coral may be having some impact on the ecosystem, the impact of trawler fishing, cyanide fishing and global warming is the real danger, and global warming has already had an irreversible and deadly effect.

Tropical fishkeeping raises several ethical questions, and not just for marine enthusiasts. The fish swimming round our tank probably started its life in a tropical stream or river before being captured and shipped over for us to buy. No one governs the amount of them captured, and little if any effort is made to ensure that their numbers in the wild are being maintained.

Personally, I think we should ALL be asking our lfs more questions about the origins of our fish - freshwater or marine, as well as the source of the coral and live rock used in the marine tanks.

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Interesting subject.....and food for thought too.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:53 pm

I never thought that fish were still caught from the wild, I just assumed that they were bred here. Shows how much I have to learn!

I remember seeing a David Attenborough programme which showed the effect of chain trawlers on the coral beds. These ships have miles of thick heavy chain nets dragging behind them which drag along the bottom of the sea.

It completely demolishes anything that gets in its way, and in some areas has totally destroyed ALL the coral beds for hundreds of miles. The bottom of the sea looked like a moonscape after being attacked by these things.

It was so upsetting to see the surviving fish swimming round wondering what the hell had happened.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:41 pm

I saw that as well Elj. It was very distressing.Sad

Re: fish breeding. It depends on the species. Most of the usual tropical fish e.g guppies, platies, zebra danios etc. are bred in captivity but certain species such as certain plecs, otos etc. are still harvested from the wild. Smile

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:08 am

it is a hobby that has a lot of ethical questions around it. when i started i thought that all the fish would have been captive bred but it often is not the case.

i know MC does source her fish from a captive breeding programme and i think that is the way forward for the hobby.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:53 am

Thanks for replying, my friend has marine tank with Corals that aren't from the wild if you know what I mean. They look just as nice as real corals.
I study geography, so i know all about sufers and global warming doing damage to Corals. However, I wanted to raise an issue that not many people will think about- taking Corals out of the wild and placing them in fish tanks.
Thanks for replying anyway Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:41 am

It's good to have a debate about these things aquanovice - I always enjoy them Very Happy .

Thanks for raising the issue because it is something we should all be aware of!

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:35 am

Good to talk about these things. we cant go about without thinking of the impact of what we do, not only in keeping fish.
Back to top Go down
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:46 am

It is good that people are aware of the environment! Nearly all corals are definitely fragged though Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:20 am

This is food for though and to some extent I do agree with aquanovice. My fish were all tank bred and the corals were all frags from other peoples tanks this was not only the best option for the reefs but they are also more hardy fish and coral. As for corals
aquanovice wrote:
It take THOUSANDS of year to recreat these amazing reefs.
looking at how quick my corals are growing in my tank would mean it will not be long till I too could offer frags to people. A fair point has been raised and I would encourage only tank raised and fragged coral for your mini reefs.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:25 am

Good for you, Kelly. A responsible marine enthusiast. Smile

Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:16 am

How long have you had it set up kelly and do you find it a load more work? It's always made out to be the Formula 1 of fishkeeping isn't it, you know, a lot of people would like to but not many ar able. Just wondered if you found it hard work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:14 am

Hi Fishfan thats a good question. I have looked on other forums (before coming here to the best) and the marine hobby is garded like its sacred and only the chosen few can do it. This is total rubbish! I was also told it would cost mega bucks well yes that bit is sort of true but you can save on some things like many people would not use a second hand tank incase it has ever had copper in it well I did and I just cleaned it a billion times. You can buy stuff on ebay start with basic equipment and upgrade as the hobby grows for you. As for the work involved well the best test kit in the world is to watch your fish and corals (you cant help but do this anyhow) thats the first way you would see a problem. Yes there are millions of things you can test for and once a week I do, but really some marine fanatics test for everything and add everything but IMO regular water changes like in a tropical tank put back all the elements required. Salinity does need testing daily and you generally have to replace evaporated water but it takes no time at all. The best advice I could give is buy a book the internet is good but I have found books to start off more basic and then progress to the more complex stuff. There are so many ways people run a marine tank the only way to do it is the way you feel is the best at the end of the day its your money and time spent on these beautiful living things. Dont be afraid get researching and give it a go.
Back to top Go down
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:25 am

kelly wrote:
Hi Fishfan thats a good question. I have looked on other forums (before coming here to the best) and the marine hobby is garded like its sacred and only the chosen few can do it. This is total rubbish! I was also told it would cost mega bucks well yes that bit is sort of true but you can save on some things like many people would not use a second hand tank incase it has ever had copper in it well I did and I just cleaned it a billion times. You can buy stuff on ebay start with basic equipment and upgrade as the hobby grows for you. As for the work involved well the best test kit in the world is to watch your fish and corals (you cant help but do this anyhow) thats the first way you would see a problem. Yes there are millions of things you can test for and once a week I do, but really some marine fanatics test for everything and add everything but IMO regular water changes like in a tropical tank put back all the elements required. Salinity does need testing daily and you generally have to replace evaporated water but it takes no time at all. The best advice I could give is buy a book the internet is good but I have found books to start off more basic and then progress to the more complex stuff. There are so many ways people run a marine tank the only way to do it is the way you feel is the best at the end of the day its your money and time spent on these beautiful living things. Dont be afraid get researching and give it a go.

You might have just converted me!!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 am

Well it's funny you should mention all that, Kelly because one of the things that was putting me off was there seemed to be SO much work involved in setting one up and maintaining it.

Have you found that to be the case? Or would you say it's a bit more work than the tropicals but once it's established, just the same amount of maintenance?

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 am

Go for it Mary Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:00 am

That 5ft tank she is hankering after would make a beautiful marine set up wouldn't it? Wink

1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:49 am

Diana wrote:
That 5ft tank she is hankering after would make a beautiful marine set up wouldn't it? Wink

NO big plecs though! She's obviously going to have to get another one Wink Are you listening Mary??
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 am

Only a four foot one actually...

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 am

Its only another tinsy winsy foot Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 am

It can be as easy or as complex as you want to make it. Its watching the fish and corals that tells me something is wrong like I noticed the colour was fading on my trumpet coral. I had a look around the internet and realised I had been feeding the right food but I did not know to turn the light off for a while first (as this is when the feeder tenticles are out) since I have done that its looking fab. I am sure the tank will get harder to service as I get more stock or a bigger tank Wink but for now I remaine cocky as I have had it up and running for 2 months and no losses yet yay so who is going to join me on the salty side first?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 am

kelly wrote:
so who is going to join me on the salty side first?

If you write me The Idiots Guide To Setting Up A Marine Tank, I just might as anytime I read the "proper" guides, my eyes just glaze over... :lol:

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   

Back to top Go down

Say No To Corals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next