View user profile http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:22 am

I have skimmed (scuse pun Very Happy) this thread

A few brief points - poaching corals (and dynamiting of reefs) does the most harm - 99% of the corals that are 'from the wild' have come from properly managed and sustainable reef sources.

You may also be pleased to hear that many reefs are now recovering without too much human intervention

I am glad to see people have mentioned fish only options as well and I was recently templted by the idea but im very happy and pleased with my constantly rewarding tropical fresh water with all the usual not fancy or unusual (boring) platy tetra rm suspects Very Happy

But for those wanting to wet the toes in marine fish keeping - i hav read and heard it said time and again - start out with a freshwater tank - learn the basics and step up from there - once freshy is mastered - your 80% there (so im told)

HOWEVER - (this goes for any pets) in these times of finaincial uncertainty - be sure your wallet/purse can sustain these creatures to the level they deserve and your morally obliged to provide as their 'god' - they are little lives - they deserve no less than your or the rest of your family.

ALL aspects of fishkeeping are riddled with ethical/moral minefields - but the same can and should be said of most 'pets' - my advice - do the best you can do for whatevber you keep and thoroughly research their diets habitats etc etc first and replicate everything tot he best of your ability - with fish - some survive some thrive but a happy healthy fish gives the best show and best rewards Wink

Lecture over (and i prefer to watch our native marine life when snorkelling Very Happy wrasse are absolute stunners when viewed under water and our kelp forrests beat little corals any day of the week Wink

Cheers folks Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tropicalfishfanatics.forumsmotion.com
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:30 am

tbh most lfs corals are still removed from the wild even today but on a level where it is sustainable

the marine side of the hobby is slowly comming better for the enviroment where as freshwater hasnt caught up

probably because most marine hobbiest tend to do alot more research than the freshwater counter parts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:10 pm

all my corals have been frags from another reefers tank, if only this is how all LFS worked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Say No To Corals   

Back to top Go down

Say No To Corals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3