The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

New tank

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: New tank   Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:51 am

I am thinking of going out at the weekend and buying a proper tank for Goldie, the goldfish - dont blame me for the name please!

What sort of tank should I be looking for? Do I need one with lights - the one it's in at the minute doesnt have that. Also I am thinking of getting it a little pal, it seems a shame to keep it on its own, so if I am going to do that, how big should the tank be?

What type of fish would go best with it? I am presuming it would have to be another goldfish, but do some grow bigger than others?
Back to top Go down
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New tank   Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:10 am

like the name, its original! I don't know how big you current tank is but a nice one to get is the Fluval Uno 600: http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-details/stkcode/660232/category/965.html

It's about 60 litres and has a nice filter and lights. As for a companion have a look in LFS but i used to have shubunkins and and they are lovely:D
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: New tank   Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:48 am

The recommended tank size for goldfish is 45litres for one fish and 35litres for each subsequent fish - so a tank of about 90litres would be what you should look for.

Some goldfish grow bigger than others. I have a fantail and a black moor in mine and to be truthful they do not seem to be growing at all, with their bodies about 2" and then a bit longer finnage, but I dont think they will grow huge.

As Matt says, have a look in the fish shop and then research what the adult size will be.

Good luck! Very Happy

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: New tank   Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:16 am

As Diana said above. If you think about it, keeping goldfish should be approached the same way as keeping tropical fish. Basically it's the same setup - tank, filter, lights, decor, plants (real or fake) - the only thing different is that you don't need a heater although some people (i.e. Diana) spoil their goldies and use a heater also to keep the tank temp. steady at 18C. :lol:

My coldwater community includes a Black Moor, an Orange Fantail and 10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows in a 60L tank. All coexist very peacefully. I'm planning on possibly developing an outdoor goldfish pond for the two goldfish as my tank is just a little bit on the small side for them to reach their maximum growth potential of about 30cm. Shocked

P.S. I don't use a heater as the tank temp seems to stay at 18 in winter (although it goes up to 21C in summer) so I'm a disgrace to the name of goldfish keeping...
lol!

Diana
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: New tank   Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:25 am

My goldies tank is currently 23C!!! That's with no heater in situ, but they seem to tolerate it ok. That's why I warm the water sloghtly when I change it because I think the ice cold water from the tap in the winter would be a shock to them Very Happy

ViaAqua Tank AR620 97litres
1 red male betta, 1 BN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: New tank   Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 am

Ah the old central heating is obviously on full-blast then! :lol:

Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New tank   Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:18 am

TBH nearly all goldies (except fantails) grow out of most tanks, but the bigger the better Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tank   

Back to top Go down

New tank
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: OTHER CRITTERS :: COLDWATER AND PONDS-
Jump to: